Air box mod

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Dapper dan2
On the Road

Air box mod

Post by Dapper dan2 »

Hi. I e been skimming the site for info on the mod and tbh m not sure about doing it..... :?

I take it you just cut the top part of the air box which covers the filter off.....then cut the top of the air filter..... :?

Is there anything else to it??? :bollocking:

Cheers Dapper Dan
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Air box mod

Post by Crap Tartan »

Looked at that years ago and didnt feel it would make much differance and weaken the airbox considerably and give a chance for water ingress at the top of the airbox.
What I did do to improve airflow was fit TLR fairing air ducts/snorkels then cut them down and put grill on them.
An easy cheap mod that gives it a bit of ram air effect and certainly increases the airflow into the airbox.
Have a search, I remember putting pics up and info on how to do it on here so a search may help?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Dapper dan2
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan2 »

Cheers Tartan.

I think I will leave the airbox alone ....

Will have a look for your post!😀
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I think this might be refered to as snorkel mod if you are searching? Or snorkelectomy?
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Just a general comment: from what I've seen/heard, messing with intake (and exhaust) provision on motors is as likely to spoil things as improve them. Opening airboxes on Ducatis seems to improve airflow and certainly lets more music out, whereas doing the same on Suzuki's excellent VX800 (carburated) twin was the very best way to ruin the performance! How much influence Cagiva had on our Suzuki motor I don't know, but if you fiddle with it, be prepared to see losses as well as possible gains. Having a tame dyno operator and ECU wizard as backup is probably the answer, but the factory probably made a decent job of things to start with.

Cue numerous replies saying how much better shade-tree engineering is! :lol:

Nick
Dapper dan2
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan2 »

Thanks for the advice Nick!

The more power you have the more you want!.....

I shall leave it alone....
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

pffft ! You're killing me :lol: More specifically the airbox mod i believe you are referring to here is the snorkelectomy , simply by removing the 2 plastic air intakes on either side,or even removal of part of the airbox ,it has been proven by back to back dyno runs that this has no real benefit/effect on our bikes (cagiva) apart from a bit more intake noise and has absolutely no effect on hp/torque.But i do I like the extra noise :revrev: Now if you look at the TL forums the airbox mod is much more involved and is not simply a case of pulling 2 plastic pods off or hacking a piece out of the lid. The problem is the airbox on our bikes got revised again ,like the motor, so its not possible to achieve the same effects and get the great results that the TL could, but if it makes you feel better then go for it! Thats got to be worth more power right! Ahhhh the nay sayers :haha: