Exhaust Stud Length

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Anakist
On the Road

Exhaust Stud Length

Post by Anakist »

Hey guys and gals,

I have the Wife's headers off getting ceramic coated and a cracked mount getting fixed on one of the Staintunes. While the bike is down I am going to buy some stainless or inconel studs and make some brass nuts if I can't find some in a kit.

What length studs are everyone using? And are you using flash ones with a collar or just threaded rod? I am kind of thinking I will use a long grub screw so I can use the inhex drive to install them but I did find some collared studs with an inhex as well.

Thanks.

James
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Exhaust Stud Length

Post by nickst4 »

Sorry, I can't help with stud length but I'm interested in the concept of ceramic coating Raptor headers. The pipes on 99.9% of Rappies let the side down because they go so horribly brown. Personally, I don't like belly-pans to disguise that so I went to the expense of having mine polished and they look SO much better. Yes, you need to chase the colour off now and then with acid/polish but so far, so good, especially having defeated the air injection on the front pot. Maybe I should have ceramic-coated them but I do like shiney pipes... :nod:

Cheers,

Nick
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

She likes shiny, that was one of the reasons to go ceramic!

James
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

I found a post on TL Zone saying cut stainless rod into 40mm lengths and trim from there, but I purchased a set of inconel studs that are M8x40mm and come with copper nuts and will buy or make come acorn or similar nuts to go over the top and protect the threads.

James
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

Holy smoke those pipes are stunning!
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

Thanks. That is pretty much exactly what my wife said when she saw them too.

To continue with this project, can I use TLS exhaust gaskets from the pipe to the head? Or since I have to eBay a Cagiva one for the link between the two pipes, just eBay the lot?

Thanks.

James
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Chrome-effect ceramic? Didn't know you could get that, but what a fabulous effect! What sort of cost was involved?

Nick
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

It was $205 of our dinaros including freight 600km to me, about 116 of your quid. Should be less for you since you have more options in a smaller area.

James
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Anakist wrote: 5 years ago It was $205 of our dinaros including freight 600km to me, about 116 of your quid. Should be less for you since you have more options in a smaller area.

James
And I'm sure I paid £80 for the polishing of mine. I hope your ceramic stays on!

Nick
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

nickst4 wrote: 5 years ago Personally, I don't like belly-pans to disguise that

Nick
Don't know what you're talking about! Not sure anyone would buy a belly pan or lower just to cover the exhaust imho Just need a wee bit of polishing.

Those ceramic headers do look good though,and would improve exhaust flow as well, i had the rear link pipes black ceramic coated :happyhappy:
Attachments
vr 002v.jpg
vr 002v.jpg (178.55 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
bike 001.jpg
bike 001.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 5126 times