too cool 1000 raptor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
marky boy
On the Road

too cool 1000 raptor

Post by marky boy »

is it just mine takes ages to get up to running temprature and hardly gets just above 80 dgree's any one know where to get a replacement water pump thermostat and fan sensor
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: too cool 1000 raptor

Post by shebee »

Mine takes a while to get to just over 80 and then the hovers near there unless i get stuck in traffic, from memory the fan cuts in at about 100?

I think there was some use of masking the rad to get it up to temperature ?
Twisted Tequila Sister
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Marky, this is a known issue so even when biffing along at err... speed the cooling system is a little too good and keeps the temp at ~ 80 degrees. But, as Shebee, mentioned it will soon climb when in traffic even in cold weather.

But no fear, Crap Tartan came up with a neat trick that involves a switched resistor fitted into the temp sensor wiring that fools the ECU into thinking it's running hotter than it actually is. I've had this fitted for the past couple of years now and the engine sits at ~95 and runs much smoother, and feels stronger, as the ECU moves to a leaner fuelling map.

See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3790&hilit=3k+glitch&start=45

Somewhere in the thread is word doc with a wiring diagram and it's probably best to splice/solder the switched resistor in for a more resilient fix. There is a downloadable manual somewhere on the web - I'll try & find that for you.

Andy B
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

marky boy
On the Road

Post by marky boy »

thanks chaps for reply hottest I saw 115 sat in traffic on a very hot day last year cause of car accident
toasty :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

yes mine too sits around 80, but hit 109 in Shitney traffic on the way home.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Interesting, reading back through the topic. I can't say I've ever noticed the running temps of mine on its infrequent short blasts cos the red mist rapidly descends! What I'm grateful for is that it has never suffered from the fabled 3K glitch. What's the implication of that? Does it mean the fueling is already perfect, as I've always thought? Come on; they must have let a few out that worked OK, aside from guzzling fuel! :wink:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

What I'm grateful for is that it has never suffered from the fabled 3K glitch. What's the implication of that? Does it mean the fueling is already perfect, as I've always thought? Come on; they must have let a few out that worked OK
Ol' Reggie has never suffered with the 3K glitch either & I'm not entirely sure why some do & some don't. It does seem to be engine temp related but mind you I've never messed around with the TPS, air box, pairs system, TRE or until recently the exhaust.

Mind you he can still be a little lumpy & snatchy at low revs (~2k) but I reckon that's acceptable for a big twin and easily worked round with a quick clutch dip.

Andy B
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

If I understand the gist of this thread, it is that the Cagiva Raptor 1K motor is running richer than it needs to?

Contrast that with the current situation whereby all bike engines are chronically running lean to suit the emissions regs! I've spent a deal of money to fool the motor on my 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada into running richer, including a gadget called a booster plug that tells the ECU the motor is cold, which may work on BMWs but completely failed to affect the Ducati closed-loop system when running on a constant throttle.

Makes you think carbs weren't so bad after all!
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Carbies FTW!, Fuel injection is just a pale digital imitation at it's best.

Re the snatchiness at low rev's I fitted a tre to bella last week, noticeably smoother now, as in no more clutch grabs just to get out of the driveway, also seems to pull a bit harder thru the gears too.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

If I understand the gist of this thread, it is that the Cagiva Raptor 1K motor is running richer than it needs to?
On page H12 of the manual there is a table that shows the temperature sensor's variable resistance at different temperatures i.e. at 20, 50, 80, 100 & 130 C .

My understanding of this & the various threads on the topic has always been that the ECU alters the fuelling map at various point one of which is ~80. So any time it is under that it'll be runner richer (than it needs/should/could be).

And this richness causes or compounds the 3K glitch.

BTW it is entirely possible I'm way off beam here, ahem :? :oops:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

One last thing to point out is that the resistor must not be in circuit when cold starting (it probably won't start otherwise) hence the need for a variable or switched resistor.