RSV swingarm issues - need help!

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Boofhead
On the Road

RSV swingarm issues - need help!

Post by Boofhead »

G'day all,

I have recently installed an RSV swingarm into my Raptor in a hurried attempt to get to MotoGp at Phillip Island. I have a couple of questions regarding the swap because of a few issues that have come up and need some help.
Should the shocky be the same length as the standard sachs? I have installed a Bitubo shocky which was 10mm longer out of the box than standard and I used the standard Cagiva triangles. The ride height is now very high (feels like a GSXR etc) and causes the swingarm to hit on the left pipe. It doesn’t seem to have have any sag and I’m concerned about any issues all this will have on the bikes handling.
The Bitubo schocky has a lot of adjustment in the rose joints at each end, I just need to have a benchmark to work from.
Another issue all this causes is that the side stand is now way too short. Will the side stand still need modification when the ride height is correct?
Does anyone have dimensions that will help?

I desperately need help to get this thing on the road asap, so I hope someone out there can help!!

Cheers from Boofhead
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Re: RSV swingarm issues - need help!

Post by Trevor68 »

10mm is a BIG difference, I am installing a wilbers that I ordered 3mm longer this weekend, I expect that to raise the seat height 20-25mm.

If it feels that high to you now and is adjustable, I would suggest FIRST setting the sag correctly, then if still too high probably shorten it by 5mm and try again.

Basically only you can tell where you want it for your height, and how you prefer it to handle. Higher in the rear will be more "flighty", lower will be more stable at speed.

Once your happy with that revisit the side stand issue, if too much lean then yes, your going to need to extend it. Luckily it just seems to be a bit of bent steel, no challenge to a half decent welder.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”