Footrest position

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
nickst4
On the Road

Footrest position

Post by nickst4 »

The seat on the 2000 Raptor 1K is low and the footrests are high, so my knees are rather more flexed than on any other bike of mine, at least. This took some getting used to, but the surprise was when we got a 2006 650ie, because the alloy footrest hangers on that bike have been cast differently, putting the footrests about 25mm lower. This actually makes this bike significantly more comfortable to ride. In all other respects, the footrest hangers look the same, so if I found anyone breaking a 650ie, I'd be tempted to do a swap. However, I paid good money to have the 1K hangers powder-coated!

Another contributor here mentioned lowering the footrests, but it seems he/she is incommunicado so has not been able to advise how they did it. Better have a go myself!

I bought some Gen-Mar lowering brackets from ebay but of course they don't list the Cagiva Raptor, claiming that all theirs are based solely on the geometry of Hondas.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GenMar-the-O ... SwIS5eRV4J
The seller was rather particular about this, and I had to swear on my mother's honour I wouldn't send them back covered in scratches if they didn't fit the Raptor!

Anyway, with a certain amount of grinding and bushing of the pivot holes, I've now got footrests nominally 25mm lower than before, and the bike is indeed nicer to ride. I had to drop the gear and brake levers to match, of course, taking care to adjust the brake lever so the master cylinder was unaffected. The footrest fittings don't look as neat as before, of course, but that doesn't matter much.

Here's some pics (I hope) of the original and two of the lowered version.
Last edited by nickst4 on |June 16th, 2020|, 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Footrest position

Post by shebee »

Nice :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
malaka58
On the Road

Re: Footrest position

Post by malaka58 »

I got some adjustable Foot tests from M and P for £90 they are good