F1 Error

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

F1 Error

Post by Trevor68 »

Hi, i have had the Flashing F1 plus red oil light error for a long time now, usually it starts doing it when hot I have been ignoring it because the bike runs just fine regardless, then once you shut down for a bit it will restart fine with no error.

Today is the first time it did it both on the way to work AND on the way home so I thought hello, maybe I will get the code now, but nope, put in dealer mode and got C00, no fault.

My question is can I just leave it in dealer mode and maybe get a code next time it happens?
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Re: F1 Error

Post by sidrat »

I don't know the answer but its worth a try
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Yep, it can be left in dealer mode, but of course no error today! I'll just leave it in dealer mode until I get one. :thumbsup:
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

ok so it finally threw the code, permanently this time though it would seem.
It started fine at work today, went about 100 yards and died and hasn't started since.

It winds over for 5-6 seconds displaying C00 and then displays C24 and C25 which is both front and rear coils, so would seem to point to something up with the ignition circuit. I can hear the fuel pump prime normally.

So far I have checked all the fuses, and sprayed wd-40 in a bunch of electrical connectors, but no luck.

have given up and left it at work for the night, but brought the battery home to charge. :oops:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've had a coil fail i.e. dead kaput, nothing, nada. Luckily it was easy to diagnose because it went on to one pot and swapping the coil wiring moved the fault to the other pot.

The wiring isn't the best and is an absolute bitch to get to... perhaps disconnect, clean & squeeze a little tighter.

I never did find out why it failed either... it just did one morning without warning.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Probably not as as its flagging both coils but it might be worth a look at the kill switch, sidestand switch, clutch switch (all the usual suspects). And the main relay , mine corroded badly on the pins and that caused an F1 error.
Twisted Tequila Sister
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Day 2 and she is still stuck at work. I checked the sidestand switch and gear selector switch for continuity, all good. Removed the TRE just in case, checked all the fuses with a Multimeter, and the main relay is outputting 12V on the Yellow wire when the key is turned. Replugged the ECU, still no go.

I guess I need to chase the coil earth side through now, it must be open somewheres.
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

Check the 12v is getting to the red and blue wire at the coils, if not follow the circuit diagram back to the fuse
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Great news, a friend mounted a rescue mission last night, brought a trailer into work and took the old girl back to his place. She is now a going concern after a lot of tinkering today.

I quote his findings here verbatim.
Initially I measured 13V at the the BR pin into the ECU (with the ECU disconnected) as expected.
What I didn't expect was measuring 11.4V at the BR/W & GR/BK pins at the ECU. It should have been the same with no current flowing.

I think that there were two things going on.
1. The Rear HT lead had resistance to ground, courtesy of the dodgy repair.
2. The spade connections at BR on the coils were also weak, and likely high resistance.
Thus there was a potential divider with the coil secondary and the HT lead fault to ground. That is how the 11,4V came about.

When I removed the BR connectors at the coils, and reinstalled them, the high resistance joints were cleaned up and became low resistance joints. The removal of the dodgy HT lead removed the resistance to ground. The combination solved the problem. The voltages at the ECU then ALL read correctly at 13V.

I added tension to the coil spade connectors on tte rear coil then tried to run the bike, successfully.
I still need to add tension to the front coil spade connections.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Result! :happyhappy: :revrev:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Yep, it pays to know the local Benelli expert here, who also happened to be an electrical engineer in a past life. :thumbsup:

2 thumbs down to the local bike shop who refused to look at her point blank though. :naughty:
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

And were back, she has conked out 4 times this week, rolling to a stop displaying C24/C25. A bit of faffing about on the side of the road, turn the kill switch off, ignition off, kill switch on etc and she goes again.

For something different she gave a cough and a splutter this morning, then recovered and rode all the way to work with C24/C25 displayed. :naughty:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

You probably already know C24/C25 is & I quote "The signal from the crankshaft position sensor is produced but the signal from the ignition coil is not produced for two consecutive times" - Ignition coil/wiring/connector connection, battery power supply.

So the prime suspect has gotta be what was resolved before i.e. spade connector tension to the coils and it's always wise to check the battery/charging system. Are you seeing a good 13.5v at the battery when it is running?

And as Shebee has pointed out kill/ignition switches.

I have a mini led voltmeter fitted and this gives a good indication of the rectifier/battery state which when fails can over/under charge & finally kill the battery.

Andy B
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Yes I have a usb charger with display too, she is showing a decent 13.6 volts.

I have cleaned the Kill Switch and Sidestand Switches with some contact cleaner, though they will show a CHK error if they aren't engaged.

I can imagine one coil being a bad connection, but both simultaneously seems odd, maybe the loose connection is further towards the battery where it would be common to both coils?

I will need to see if I can breakout the path from battery in the workshop manual and get a clearer understanding of the circuit.

I purchased some new fuses, iridium plugs, and a new main relay yesterday, thinking that once I get into it everything will likely be 20 years old so I may as well start refreshing everything.

Also just for more fun, she rode fine zero errors from work to Supercheap, then from Supercheap home. :doh:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Also just for more fun, she rode fine zero errors from work to Supercheap, then from Supercheap home.
Rs... an intermittent electrical fault :(