rear side cover

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
sidrat
On the Road

rear side cover

Post by sidrat »

raptor side covers.JPG
raptor side covers.JPG (27.97 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
So this is the state of my covers, having held onto the seat hump for 20 years!. The bike has led a sheltered life having only competed 4000 miles when i bought it, but clearly these end bits are the worse for wear. I am just about to fibreglas the tab back on in the picture and i can make an end to the one that is missing by fabricating something out of some plastic offcut or metal and glassing it on.

However

There looks to be two tabs missing that i guess support or hold or locate the long metal bolt.

Does anyone have a picture of a complete one? i would hate to lose the seat hump!

thanks in advance
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Re: rear side cover

Post by nickst4 »

I'm not sure of what bit it is you are repairing, especially since my seat hump is a DIY job, but I'd recommend Q-bond to glue plastic bits back on. That stuff uses super-glue accelerated by a gritty powder and it bites into the original plastic very well, and would probably give better adhesion than fibre-glass-resin. I've used it for several tabs on panels, including re-attaching the entire number plate hanger that some bodger sawed off the Morini in order to make it "tidy", and none have broken again. The bond-line can look rather scruffy if you don't disguise it but better scruffy and strong rather than pristine but weak!

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Re: rear side cover

Post by sidrat »

:D
Roadsters are me!