Front Brake Pads

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
HiFi
On the Road

Front Brake Pads

Post by HiFi »

Any consensus on the best front brake pads to use on a Rappy 1000? Running around on the weekend I could tell the front brakes aren't what they should be so I'm going to do a pad / fluid replace as the bike has been standing for a while... Cheers :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Front Brake Pads

Post by andybaggies »

Obviously I can only comment on personal experience but I always use EBC Double H pads FA244HH and they are definitely the best I have used. Paired with EBCs own discs - MD660. They do turn the disks into consumables mind but rather that than end up in a hedge :)

It also might be wise spend some time (carefully) squeezing the pistons out a little more, cleaning them up and adding some red rubber grease to them. Use zip ties round each piston as they come out to stop them dropping completely out... and cotton buds are just the job for cleaning.

Andy B
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Front Brake Pads

Post by nickst4 »

My knee-jerk response to brake-pad queries is Goldfren HH, being a little less aggressive than the EBC ones, not to mention cheaper and causing very little disc wear.

However, I have to admit to losing confidence in the Raptor's front brakes since a major problem with sticking pistons in a professionally-refurbished pair of caliper that nearly dumped me on the road twice. An old pair of calipers has sorted the feel at least, but I guess the (good) pads need to bed in again to give more bite than I had when out on the bike last night. Plus I need to re-establish my faith that firm brake pressure won't unexpectedly lock the front wheel!

Nick