650 carb main earth point

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
charlie650

650 carb main earth point

Post by charlie650 »

Hello!
Liked my injected 650 I've just picked up a carbed 02 model to smarten up over winter a bit.
Rides okay apart from a bit of a fart from a dirty carb, so pulled the seat and tank off to sort this and found the electrics in one hell of a mess.
All earth's were grounding to the tank bracket meaning the tank wasn't bolted on! But can't seem to figure out where they all go and they don't seen to reach the battery! Any ideas from the good people here?
Also what reg reg can be used as it clearly has the wrong one fitted ( mounting points on reg rec dremmelled and two wires from it going straight to the battery terminals!???)

Have tred comparing it to my injected one but all seems rather different

Thanks!
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Re: 650 carb main earth point

Post by Aussiejoe »

The main earth is up the top of the front edge of rear cylinder on the left hand side, from the parts listings it should be in exactly same position on your 650IE.It has a heavy cable attached and goes straight to the battery negative terminal. It's has an allen key head but is really difficult to get to because of the frame, I cut down an allen key to be able to get it undone.

Have a look at all those earths as I'm guessing the previous owner has added them in as they were having issues with the bike starting and it is why the regulator is wired directly to the battery. I had problems with starting my bike, replaced the starter solenoid, cleaned the earth on the engine as I thought that was the problem and could not work out why my bike was struggling to start even with a reasonably new battery. After some investigation I found out Cagiva specify a battery with 135 CCA (cold cranking amps) (Yuasa YTX9-BS) and Suzuki specify a 175 CCA (Yuasa YT12A-BS) battery for SV650. I ended up putting in a battery that was 200 CCA (Yuasa YTX14-BS) and never had a starting problem again.

Carmo Electronics can supply you with a new mosfet regulator rectifier, https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_pag ... cts_id=313
These will be the plugs in your wiring harness where the reg/rec plugs in. One on the left has 3 yellow wires and goes to the stator, the one on the right has a red and blue wire.
regulator connections1.jpg
regulator connections1.jpg (70.95 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
If you're pulling the carbys apart, have a read of my comment here http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 346#p25346, third one down, 2nd last paragraph. I mention cleaning the carbys out and damaging the o-ring on the needle valve seat.