Seat upgrade

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
nickst4
On the Road

Seat upgrade

Post by nickst4 »

While the seat on the 1K Raptor is fine, especially with new suspension beneath it, that on the 650 is hard and appreciably narrower at the section where I feel comfortable with the riding position. Now, however, Alistair Else at ElseMade in Wisbech has reworked it with gel and memory foam, making it appreciably wider at that point. It now feels superb; rather better than the 1K, in fact.

Cosmetically, Alistair has replicated the original look as requested so the appearance is little changed: it just doesn't look anorexic anymore.

Maybe tomorrow the roads will be dry, if not actually clean, and I can have a comfy ride! :happyhappy:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Seat upgrade

Post by shebee »

Whoo... i am contemplating re shaping the seat on the scrambler to make it easer to get on and off... if you don’t mind how much ish did the re work cost?
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

How come the Scrambler seat doesn't fit? Is it too high? Presumably your knees are/will be having an easier time? We do need a review of The Beast, even if it ain't a Raptor!

Anyway, the seat refurb cost £165, including all the comfy bits and a new cover. If you are looking for lower/narrower, you may not need a new cover, of course. So far, the only downside of ElseMade is that it took about 10 weeks because the lad is much in demand. Ideal for the winter layoff but not now, I fear!

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Knees are having a lovely time... despite the weather! Seat is a little high for getting on and off (its not graceful!) but a change of boots today seems have helped. Had it 2 weeks done 375 miles in 5 rideouts not bad for late February/early March! Did 95 miles today and 100 miles Wednesday both without much after effects or need for ibuprofen... it was definitely a good choice :happyhappy:

She is starting to loosen up nicely, i have until Thursday afternoon to reach the 600 miles as thats when she is booked in for her service.

First impression... love it! The engine is ridiculously noisy (even compared to the raptor and mine was particularly ticky) but the exhaust sounds lovely . Rideability is good , copes well with the shit potholed roads round here and the current standing water and gravel everywhere (more like hardcore than gravel on some of the corners today!). Its got loads of electronic gizmos to adjust the performance and abs etc. I have got it set to average at the moment and its fine for now.

Once she is run in and the roads dry out i will report back again!
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Just to report that the seat upgrade was definitely worthwhile. Personally, I'd still like a more-compliant suspension, especially at the back, but Dianne, who'll mostly ride the bike, says she never notices these shortcomings so I'll probably leave it as it is.

I remain mightily-impressed with the performance of the little 650 motor. Almost as much go as you'd ever need, and very easily controllable! What a difference from the 650cc twin bikes of my youth... :nod:

Nick