Rear wheel bearings

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
nickst4
On the Road

Rear wheel bearings

Post by nickst4 »

When I got the 650ie, I had to replace almost all the bearings in the shock linkage. Once that was sorted, it was back in with the wheel and go!!

Except not, because the wheel was so difficult to fit between the arms of the swing-arm that I even attempted to stretch them apart mechanically. Fortunately, that didn't work: the swing-arm is stronger than it looks. Anyway, the wheel went in eventually...

Come the need to put new tyres on, it was a struggle to get the rear wheel out again because of the lack of clearance. As one does while changing tyres, I checked the bearings. One was protruding by maybe 3mm, with the long internal spacer rattling around inside! This would have made the wheel width wider by that amount, so no wonder it was tight.

Of course, the bore of the wheel showed the expected burrs resulting from ham-fisted fitting of the bearings. What amazes me is that the bearings hadn't collapsed, though they surely would given time because the axle would have been tight on the balls without the inner races being supported.

Another lesson learned about the previous owner! :?

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by nickst4 »

Ah; another thing learned today is that it DOES matter which way you put in the long spacer between the bearings! :oops:

The end with the spigot that locates within the bearing must be on the sprocket side, otherwise the outer clamping spacers, which are not the same, won't fit. Just as well that I bought more SKF 60062RS bearings than I needed, cos I never re-use one I've had to drive out via the inner race.

I'll get there eventually, though may find it hard to convince the local constabulary that having new tyres fitted by my friendly expert Carl is vital...

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by andybaggies »

Ah; another thing learned today is that it DOES matter which way you put in the long spacer between the bearings! :oops:
Yep, been there done that. Not sure the if the 1000 is the exactly the same but yes the orientation of the long is critical.
I'll get there eventually, though may find it hard to convince the local constabulary that having new tyres fitted by my friendly expert Carl is vital...
During the present lockdown does anyone know what the 'law' actually is for ride outs from & to your own home (without stopping)?

Andy B