Clutch adjustment

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Xavz
On the Road

Clutch adjustment

Post by Xavz »

Been off my bike for about 6 months and got back and getting clutch slip in all gears.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the cableto see if i can get any improvement before i look at replacing the clutch plates ( i think someone has been fiddling while i was away!)

Thanks in advance

Xavz
:ride: :ride: Go Big or Go Home :ride: :ride:
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Clutch adjustment

Post by andybaggies »

Lets see if I can explain this from memory...

It might first be wise to remove the cover and loosen & disconnect the cable so you can clean everything up.

The push rod can get covered in chain gunk so I've bodged a plastic straw and spring for it that can also help the seal from weeping see
Clean and re-grease the release mechanism BUT BEWARE you don't loose any of the ball bearings inside. Check the cable or the handlebar lever isn't sticking either - more cleaning & re-greasing/lubing.

Once that's done reassemble without the cover and leave slack in the cable. Turn the adjustment screw until it hits the pushrod and then back it off 1/2 a turn. Then adjust the cable at the engine end so the lever on the release mechanism can be wiggled 10/15 degrees. The lever should also be at around 90 degrees from the release mechanism fixing bolts.

Adjust at the lever end, replace the cover and enjoy! :ride:

Andy B
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

My clutch was slipping recently, which is why i read this, very useful!

Also here's a picture of it, no surprise it does it really..

andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Ooo-er - I though mine was bad!!

BTW the seal is an easy if finicky replacement and pretty cheap. If you do it you'd be best to replace the large retaining plate that goes around the output shaft as well. From what I remember you have to remove the alternator cover as well.

I'm must admit I'm the routing of the electrical connector doesn't look right at all. I'm assuming it's the side stand switch and the cable on mine is routed external along a curvy crevice in the engine casing just below & forward of the gear change output shaft. From there is sits in the gap between the plastic cover & engine casing before sitting on top and towards the frame rail where the connector sits.

Oh, nearly forgot 1/4 of a turn back when adjusting the clutch not a 1/2.