On the Road

Re: Testing

Post by Aussiejoe » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Receiving Houston, thanks mate!

nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 am

Interesting! The Navigator only has the Suzuki motor in common with the other Raptors, being as how it was the successor to the Ducati-powered Gran Canyon 900 when Cagiva did a deal with Suzuki. Navigator owners are welcome on the Groups.io Gran Canyon forum, by the way, for non-motor topics. I often think my Gran Canyon is my favourite bike, so I'm wary about upsetting it by adding a Navi to the fleet of Cagivas that lives with me!

Nick

shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee » Sun May 10, 2020 6:34 am

Significant other had a DL1000, bought after riding the raptor and finding it too cramped... it was horrible engine wise (too much sanity on the engine management) and the clutch was A nightmare.
So a few years back we Located an 02 Navigator for him. Not exactly a raptor motor but pretty close. He loves it. (Although he was letching after a Hypermotard yesterday :roll: )
Twisted Tequila Sister

nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am

shebee wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:34 am
Significant other had a DL1000, bought after riding the raptor and finding it too cramped... it was horrible engine wise (too much sanity on the engine management) and the clutch was A nightmare.
So a few years back we Located an 02 Navigator for him. Not exactly a raptor motor but pretty close. He loves it. (Although he was letching after a Hypermotard yesterday :roll: )
Hi Sheebs,

In what way does the Navi motor differ from the Raptor1K? Is it softer? One of the pleasures of the Gran Canyon Ducati motor is it's low state of tune (it has small valves, and only four total), making it a very friendly bike to ride: loads of torque delivered in a very linear fashion. I've always assumed the Navi motor would be excessively muscular?

Your 'other' ought to scratch the itch of a Hyper: I adore my 2013 821cc Testastretta 'Strada! The riding position is set rather forward and cramped, but the motor is a peach and punches way, way above expectations. The downside is that the fueling was set too lean from the factory and is tricky to improve, and the early 'Stradas had a very fierce clutch for which, thankfully, there is a fix. But maybe he was looking for an older air-cooled two-valver?

Nick

shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee » Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am

Its a bit softer, but still has the growl zone and nowhere as sanitised as the dl. On the Hypermotard probably an air cooled one on budget grounds but its off the list for the moment as we already have one new bike sitting sulking most of the time!
Twisted Tequila Sister

Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe » Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am

From what I gather Nick, the Navigator is identical to the Gran Canyon except for the 19 inch front wheel(and cable drive speedometer drive) up to about 2002. In 2002 they relocated some of the electrical components like the regulator to under the side cover from the tail section and some relays to under the ECM. The parts list specifies a "UP TO SERIAL NUMBER <1067" which were an adapted Gran Canyon wiring harness. A lot of parts are interchangeable from the Gran Canyon to the Navigator, a check of the part numbers show what parts are shared.

The differences in the motors from the Raptor 1000 to the Navigator were in the exhaust system, ECM and airbox. The Navigator was about 7hp down from the Raptor, and most of that can be gained back by changing over to the Raptor ECM.

I would have to say yes, the Navigator is extremely muscular, and the design was aimed at a 95% road, 5% dirt use. I would be curious what the Navigator would be like on the dirt with a 19 inch front wheel. With the 18 inch front wheel, 2 up with fully loaded saddle bags, top box and tank bag with road tyres, it is rock solid at 60mph across dirt roads. It also handles awesomely on asphalt, touching down the foot pegs isn't hard.

nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi Joe,

I didn't realize Cagiva reduced the size of the front wheel on later Navigators. Even the air-cooled (and ?lighter) GC was always reckoned as a very nominal off-roader and much better on metalled roads, so it makes sense Cagiva took that on board. I didn't know it at the time I bought my GC but a previous owner had fitted 17" rims front and back, permitting the use of modern radial tyres for superb road manners and also suiting my relative shortness of leg! I love that bike... :blush:

Nick