R&G Crash Protectors

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Breganze
On the Road

R&G Crash Protectors

Post by Breganze »

This is my first post and I have a question about fitting R&G crash protectors as i have found an odd situation with the way they fit up to the frame. The off side protector slides rather loosely into the little cylinder that holds the engine bolt but the near side protector is a very tight/ oversize fit and doesn’t want to slide in the same way. I did a search of the Forum and found that some people bought longer bolts while others shaved back the protector casing to fit while someone else completed the the job in 5 minutes eezy peezy. What is the correct way of fitting the near side protector?

cheers

Geoff
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum Geoff 8)

... I cant help with the crash bungs sorry :cry:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I've just replaced one - but on a 1000 not 650 , :( I was going to put a spacer in as the near side one on the thou doesn't quite protect the tank on that side and needs to come out just a tad (technical term ;) )

welcome in anyway Breganze - :D

am sure a 650 nutter (ahem 'owner' :twisted: ) will be along to advise soon
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Magnum
On the Road

Re: R&G Crash Protectors

Post by Magnum »

Breganze wrote:55 years agoThis is my first post and I have a question about fitting R&G crash protectors as i have found an odd situation with the way they fit up to the frame. The off side protector slides rather loosely into the little cylinder that holds the engine bolt but the near side protector is a very tight/ oversize fit and doesn’t want to slide in the same way. I did a search of the Forum and found that some people bought longer bolts while others shaved back the protector casing to fit while someone else completed the the job in 5 minutes eezy peezy. What is the correct way of fitting the near side protector?

cheers

Geoff
Hi and welcome Geoff. :D
Will this help you at all?
http://www.emotouk.com/cagiva/rg/detail ... ng/650.pdf
Cheers!
:D :D
Breganze
On the Road

Post by Breganze »

'Bump'
Breganze
On the Road

Post by Breganze »

I ended up shaving the casing so that it would fit. Not very impressed with the instructions or the product/ design for the price they ask. Could have bought any 'fits all' bung and done the same thing.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Shame about that Breganze - I guess I'm lucky to live near them - I had one of the 1000 prototypes, I went, I bought, they adjusted, and fitted
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Magnum
On the Road

Fitting the R&G´s

Post by Magnum »

I now fitted my pair of R&G´s :? . So now I know how I should have done it. :idea: :idea:
The near side (leftside) bobbin fits too tightly in the hole of the frame :evil: :evil: :evil: . I should have started with grinding that piece of the bobbin so it could slide in and out easily :roll: . Then I should have shaved off the piece that goes against the frame tubing so that the piece that goes in the hole goes all the way down :!: . What I did was that I drove the bobbin in and it got stuck :evil: :evil: . Not all the way in, as it supposed :roll: . Then I took a longer bolt and tightend it to 40 Nm :) . Then I replaced the longer bolt with the original “gold” one. It worked, but it´s not how I would have done If I known better from the start. 8) 8)
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
Breganze
On the Road

Post by Breganze »

Hi Magnum,

Sounds like you got it in there eventually even if it will never come out again! The instructions should have made it clear that the casing needs shaving / grinding in order to fit. I nearly did the same as you but was worried that it would only go half way in and then get stuck.

Have you had your bike out on the road yet or is the weather still too bad? I don’t think I could be patient and wait as long as you but I guess it gets pretty icy in Sweden this time of year.

I’m loving the 650, it is so light and nimble and the quickest steering bike I have ever ridden. I have just ordered a Matris steering damper for a bit of extra confidence on bumpy roads. Strangely it was cheaper for me to order the damper from the US than it was from Italy. Go figure!

cheers

Geoff
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

Hi Breganze!
Glad to hear that you enjoy the bike. For me I just have to wait. Yesterday we got 20 cm. of snow and today it´s all melting to Ice.
I´m afraid that the snow will come late this winter and keep me stuck in my shed for a couple of months longer than expected. Good to hear that you like the handling, since thats why I replaced my old bike for the Raptor in the firstplace. Re. the R&G´s I just got in from the shed, I got on some rubber gloves and got the damed crashbung out :twisted: :twisted: so that I could perform some shaving :D . Now it fits perfectly. I agree with you, the instructions sucks big time. And I can´t make my mind up, do the bungs really improve the look of the bike :roll:

Cheers!
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
Lyceum
On the Road

Post by Lyceum »

The R&G crash bungs were a massive pain for me.

One did indeed get stuck and I ended up forcing it in 'gently' with a wooden mallet and a bit of fabric to soften the blows further because I couldn't get it out. Was very wary of damaging the frame but it turned out ok. Also the bolt they supplied was not long enough so I found a thinner spacer so I could sort of make it fit. Not a good show from R&G at all.