TRE Gear indicators and enthusiasm

Chat about anything
zebedee
On the Road

TRE Gear indicators and enthusiasm

Post by zebedee »

Good morning people hope your day brings you something nice.
I just posted pix and blurb about fitting a GI pro gear indicator and TRE so now here is some waffle about it rather than instructions.
These excellent bikes are fitted with a timing retarder for 1st 2nd and 3rd. This means you dont get full power straight away and go home to your beloved goldfish and Britney Spiers poster collection in one piece. This, so they say, is meant to stop it shaking its head and killing you when you give it the beans out of a fast corner. This is actually what your brain is for. Send a message to your wrist which says keep it smooth and you will be ok. What I found the timing retarder does do is give an awful dead space at low throttle so you get a magnification of the fuel injection lag just when you are trying to be all gentle and smooth. The other problem I found with the performance is the bucket loads of torque and power makes me think there should be another gear. I have since thought that if I had 7 I would want 8 gears etc etc
So I invested £90 in one of these gear indicators with an advanced TRE in it. It does 3 things, first it tells you what gear your in, second gets rid of the restrictions and third switches itself off in neutral so the bike ticks over nicely.
There are 4 modes. Off, 4th gear map, 5th gear map and 6th gear map. The 6th is for Hyabusas etc that have top end restrictions.
I fitted it yesterday and id 60 miles to work. Lot of motorway but traffic both ends and some lanes to start.
I was quietly please to start with. The lag is much much less and the bike is better at slow speed in traffic.
I the got the chance to hurtle off from slow in second. Gosh that was nice. You can feel the difference. more power comes in early and keeps coming. There is no increase in BHP or tuning but you now have control over all of it. I didn't have any problems with it and no massive head shakes or anything. I do get the odd little twitch out of enthusaistic corner exits but will look into what can be done about that in the future. The bike sounds ever so slightly throatier now. A tiny bit more burble. Just a fraction but I did notice. When my neighbour recovers from health issues a bit I will certainly think again about getting some more db.
The gear indicator is useful I had no trying to change up from top and no twitiching on the gear lever when stopped to make sure I was in first. It is a nice clear easy to read display and I am happy with it. Overall I would definitely recommend a TRE. I have not tried any others but am sure that if they dont make it run rough and shut off at tick over they would all be just as good. I spent the extra dosh to get programable modes, a gear indicator and I like gadgets and gizmos.
live long and prosper earthmen