Unforgettable: Pyrenees 2008! (NDUS)

Chat about anything
wreckah
On the Road

Unforgettable: Pyrenees 2008! (NDUS)

Post by wreckah »

Just got back yesterday from a 8-day trip to the pyrenees, together with my TV-show buddy Marnik, my little brother Pete, and long time good friend Nick. Me and Marnik went motorriding while the two other fellas went bicycling. We loaded everything in the trailer, and towed the lot with my trusty old beemer 325i to the mountains, some 1200kms down south. This way, we save on tires, chains, and a little bit of petrol (it's a 325i after all :laugh )

We stayed in a motorbike-hotel called 'motor stop helder', ( http://motorstophelder.nl ) in a little village 'Caudies de Fenouilledes', in the eastern part of the Pyrenees. Jan and Ina were our hosts, and they were superfriendly, very helpful, and always in for a laugh. Anybody going to the Pyrenees, this is the place to be! :) Very cheap too!

We did around 1800 miles of twisties throughout the week, and we had a complete blast. It's been a while since i did such nice roads, and saw such nice scenery on a bike. My buddy rides a dragstar 650, but he really hauls ass in the twisties. Really. When he's got the jazz, i really have to go for it to keep up with him. Of course, i never go above 5000 RPM :lol

anyway, here's the pics! click for very big :devious

After an allnight drive, i was feeling a bit sleepy the first day, so i made my bed in the garden of the hotel :)

In the afternoon we went for our first ride.
Gorges St George (gorge = canyon)

Gorge de Galamus

Marnik and the bikes

Col de Paiheres (only 2001m high, but the toughest col in the pyrenees)

A little video of me doing a hairpin on this Col! :)

Col d'Envalira - Andorra

Col de Puymorens

Offorad with a sportsbike and a custom! Only jeeps come here, and we got lots of strange looks from the offroaders :laugh

We met up with my little brother, who just climbed the Paiheres, the most difficult Col of the Pyrenees!

A vacation would be nothing without a day at the coast, and some cultural bull ::laugh

The Queribus castle.

The next day, we went to the Spanish coast (Cadeques), where there's a section of road called 'the 1000 corners'. It was a racetrack, unbelievable! :hail

wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

We drank something on a terrace at the beach of Roses. Sorry for the wrong focus in this picture :devious :laugh

More Roses.

This is Ampuriabrava, the Miami of Spain.

Around Céret, beautiful country roads.

I went out for a day on my own, to up the tempo a bit. I rode 400 miles in one day, from Col to Col in the high Pyrenees of France, Andorra and Spain.

I went into Spain from Andorra, and that's where i found the best stretch of road in the world. I have done lots of travelling, and seen lots of things, but this must be the best biking road in the world! Between La Seu d'Urgell and Sort, there's 46kms of perfect asphalt, littered with all kinds of beautiful corners, from supertight to wide-open, and with a scenery to die for all around you. No traffic to boot, pure motorriding heaven. Everyone that goes biking in the Pyrenees should experience this road! :hail :hail

Porte de Bonaigua between France and Spain.

Back to the hotel then, and around Quillan/Puivert, i found another little racetrack. Only 10 miles or so, but very exciting nonetheless. :)

Action shot

A little BBQ in the garden at night. :) Me and my little brohter.

My little brother Pete in his favourite shirt: Buffalo AA GENT soccer team!!! :)

The day after, i went back out with my buddy, and we found a little artificial/dammed lake. We decided to take a little offroad path to a spot where noone has been before, and went for a refreshing swim in the perfect azurcoloured water. We had a big laugh hauling our bikes over tree logs, through ditches, accross fields, etc...

wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

Everywhere we come, there's babes :laugh

here's a little video with the raptor offroad :devious

We did another little Col, but it was 20kms of loose gravel surface, so when we reached the top, we were tired, hot, and a bit pissed off :laugh

We went for a cup of coffee in Quillan, and photographed this beautiful old bridge. :laugh

In the evening, we went to the local public pool, in the middle of the mountains, and it was big fun!
Ugly git:

better view here!

Some stunting without gear!! :rant

The day after, we went for a ride together with our host Jan, and he showed us a couple of beautiful spots in the lower Pyrenees in the east. Once again, noone around, amazing scenery, and great riding!

Goats on the road!! A quick blip off the throttle and the road will open up :laugh

When we climbed another Col, we saw a little offroad path to a higher mountain, and decided to try it out. Boy, wrong idea! We found the limits of our bikes, and had great difficulties climing and descending the steep rocky trail. Still, we were laughing our asses off the whole time! :)

The road to Mont-Louis.

A little picture for mum :rolleyes :laugh
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

Mont-Louis, a little mountain fort, with still some army-prescence so it seems.

Typical Pyrenee house

Jan and Marnik

Some flower

more flowers

Our hotel.

And our dirty room after a week :laugh

And me sleepy again from all the riding!

that's all for now :)
cheers fellas,
Jan
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

some more vids

Miz
On the Road

Holidays

Post by Miz »

Looks like you had a good time, We are off to N Spain on 17th August, ferry from Plymouth to Santander, so may try to find some of your suggestions.

Won't be posting many photo's tho, not happy either side of the camera :shock:

Miz.
152/999
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Nice one - I am sooo jealous - might need to get my butt back over there soon! 8)
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Fantastic pictures and a good read.
Jethro
On the Road

Post by Jethro »

wreckah wrote: We went for a cup of coffee in Quillan, and photographed this beautiful old bridge. :laugh

:shock: Look at that little pimp daddy!
I really wouldn't mind trading places with him. Sweet! :twisted:

wreckah wrote: In the afternoon we went for our first ride.
Gorges St George (gorge = canyon)
That beast must have sound great there! :D
'96 Yamaha FZR 600R[/sold]
'01 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000[/sold]
'03 Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord [/sold]
'07 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000 [CURRENT]
'?? Cagiva X-tra Raptor [maybe in the future]
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

All I can say is WOW!!!!! :shock:

I am totally jelous. I wish I had the opportunity to do the same trip. The images are great and it looks like you had a wonderful time there......

Makes me think, i really need a break......
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa