problems with rear brake & indicators Help....!

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Zane
On the Road

problems with rear brake & indicators Help....!

Post by Zane »

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my indicators now that i have installed a new rear brake bulb.

When you goto turn on either of the indicators they don't flash. They just stay on, no flashing at all.

If you turn the front light off the indicators flash. Go figure. I cant seem to find the gremlin that's causing me this much frustration. The manual talks about a new relay. huummm not sure if that's the issue.

The brake light looks fine now, but the indicators, well they are driving me mad. I need the flashy flashy....

Any thoughts?
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
Miz
On the Road

Re: problems with rear brake & indicators Help....!

Post by Miz »

Sounds like you have an earth (-ve) connection missing, I think the indicators, rear light and number plate light share a common connection. If you find this connection and run a wire direct from the battery -ve to test it out. What happens if you take out the new bulb (back to basics, it does have 2 filaments in it and 2 contacts on the base)?
152/999
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Miz thanks for the response.

Have not yet tried the earth connection. Will have to give this a go. I know that the techclusion unit runs off the same earth as the rear brake light.

If I take out the bulb, the indicators work fine.

As to the light bulb it has two filaments contacts at the base. Bulb is 12watt / 21watt

The electrical diagram shows 5 watt / 21 watt. I am not sure if this may be the cause of the issue (the watt difference that is).

Oh if you have the lights on as well as the indicator on, and press the brake lever, the light will flash once... go figure...
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hiya,

The bulb should read 12V 21/5W (can you try the bulb in another vehicle?)

I would be tempted to try another bulb and see what difference that made before delving into any thing else. I would also check that the contacts in the bulb holder have not broken/moved.

If all else fails, go to e-bay and get a LED replacement rear light, no bulbs to replace :D
152/999
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Will try to get my hands on another bulb later today. I have this suspision that the one sold to me is incorrect........

Hope my thoughts are right and the bike can get up and giong again........flashing that is..
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Well,

Hooked up my bike to the battery charger over night. In the morning all worked fine. have run the engine and the indicators now work fine.

I think the problem was that I was playing around with the indicators and lights so much that the battery was running a little low. Go figure.....

All is good now, so I am a happy chap again :D

I do however want to get the LED rear brake light. A really super bright one.

Has anyone bought a LED rear brake light? if so was it from ebay and which one.....are you happy with it????
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

A few years ago, after months of buying new light bulbs every other week I bought a basic oval LED set from the local shop (Motrax I think) and have never looked back. :wink: Removed the whole tail light, and I think needed to file a ml or two out of the fixing holes on the underseat part to get the bolts through without catching.
I should really have bought one of those clear light covers, but being a lazy/tight git, it sits uncovered still, tucked under the back of the seat. There's a number plate light part on the one I bought too - which should make it easier to remove the tail end and still be legal in UK
When I get one of those 'round tuits' :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Hi Zane

I bought one of those LED rear lights off ebay. Looked good, was really bright, but only lasted about 8 weeks before it burnt itself out :( Maybe mine was just a dodgy one. Haven't seen them on ebay for a while. I've gone back to the original light now.

My whole back light/ indicator/number plate light wiring is becoming a bit of an issue now. I think i need to re wire it really. I'll put it on the list of things to do :roll:

TimO