Performance upgrades

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
huggybear

Performance upgrades

Post by huggybear »

Hi all :D :D

I have just purchased a v-raptor and was looking for some advice as these beasts are new to me. Are there any common faults that i can sort while stripping it down this weekend or more importantly any mods to improve performance.

I have heard about the TRE which looks interesting just gotta check before i purchase if the bike already has one. How about the airbox mod ? What does that involve? And if done does water/rain effect it?

The bike does already have some art cans and a hagon rear shock.

I know these questions have asked before but just checkin to see if there are any further developments since the last posts.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

:D :D :D :D :D
snapdragon

Re: Performance upgrades

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in huggybear - superb taste in bikes you have there :mrgreen:

mods? nah I haven't bothered - had the V/Raptor seven years and she does everything just fine.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the Asylum 8)
Twisted Tequila Sister
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

good bike you wont regret it there aint a lot that goes wrong or no more than any other bike as long as you look after it, the TRE will give you full power in the lower gears {watch you dont flip it } the cans will let it breath a lot better and save a shitload of wheight, you also have a very good rear shock as for the airbox mod its only anygood if you have a k&n or similar and a pc2 or 3 and a custom map ,as for any of it its just personal choice i have changed a lot but thats just me, ride it and enjoy
Bfef
On the Road

Post by Bfef »

I was wondering about a TRE as well.

Being a bit of a wimp I rarely rev past 6~7thou but one thing I would like is a better pull from about 50mph to 80mph.

My old Vmax could get from 50 to 100 with no effort at all and I wonderd if there is something that might help the rappy in that respect.

Will the TRE do anything for me? Or should I just learn to rev past 7thou? :lol:

Also, newbie question: What is a slipper clutch and does the rappy 1000 have one?

The reason I ask is that the clutch seems a bit different to my old bike, a bit on/off and I struggle to get really smooth changes when revving it up and changing gears fast.

It seems like the revs are never high enough when I let the clutch out so there's a momentary lag. I have tried tightening and loosening the cable but haven't noticed any particular difference yet.

Thanks for patronising me! :D
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

Post by tyremuncher »

very doubt you will have a slipper clutch.they are mainly used for racing.the idea of one is that the rider can go from 4th or 5th straight into 1st gear and it wont throw you off,dont try it you will end up in the hedge.
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

bfef: raptor 1000's don't have a slipper clutch, but they do have a back torque limiter thingie which sorta gives the same results.

the pressure in the clutch pack is modulated by a sort of cam, and works by the amount of throttle you give it (or the amount of shut-throttle): the pressure increases with more throttle, and releases when you let off. You can change down through the gears without fear of locking up...except 1st gear. changing down into first on high revs will have you smearing all over the road :lol:
Bfef
On the Road

Post by Bfef »

Ace, thanks for the feedback guys :D
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

My back torque limiter must be asleep most of the time as i can skid the back wheel on down changes a doddle,leaves lovely black lines and gets the back end out a treat on roundabouts :D,and that`s on metz racetecs ,so no lack of grip from the tyres.
All i`ve fitted is a tre and scorpion cans ,with the baffle removed of course 8) .Goes like stink and don`t see the point of doing anything else.Just spend the money on fuel and tyres,you`ll need lots of it.
Oh ,one more thing ,if you like to loft the front wheel a lot and like giving it loads from low speed then get used to adjusting the chain as that torque likes nothing better than chewing back tyres and stretching chains.
HAVE LOTS OF FUN :!: :twisted:
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
booah
On the Road

Post by booah »

If you take it past 7000 you will see a different bike. I used to take a certain twisty road all the time and decided one day to do it in one lower gear all the way........completely different ride and the smile was from ear to ear. I've had the bike for 5 years and replaced the rear brake disc due to cracking, chain, sprockets, front and rear pads, clutch cable, TRE, multiple different mods and still going strong.