Fitting a Scottoiler

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Magnum
On the Road

Re: Fitting a Scottoiler

Post by Magnum »

Hi!
Since I am on my way to replace the chain and all. I was thinking about a scottoiler. So blades or anybody else, are you happy with the scottoiler. Is it cleaner or will it mess up the rear rim as much as ordenary chain lubrication? Thanks for the nice instruction by the way.

Cheers!
/M
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Am very happy with mine
because :-
1. I have a forgetful streak.
2. The Rap is my main transport and does some miles.
3. I want to look after my chain.(without having to carry a can of lube)

It does send some to the rim, and the back of the numberplate (probly not if you have the neat aftermarket tail) but nothing excessive.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hiya,

I have one of these fitted

http://www.osco.nl/

It was expensive, but it looks a lot neater than the Scottoiler, and is manual, so you can control how often it is used.

Anything you put onto your chain will get flung off onto the wheel rim and the back of the bike, the advantage of a chain oiler is that the oil is thinner and does not "stick" so is easier to clean off.
152/999
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

[quote="Magnum"]Since I am on my way to replace the chain and all. I was thinking about a scottoiler. So blades or anybody else, are you happy with the scottoiler. Is it cleaner or will it mess up the rear rim as much as ordenary chain lubrication?[/quote]

to be honest, i never noticed a problem with that side of things. i always thought that something else doing the hard work for me was better than me doing it, and i spent more time riding mine that cleaning it for the most part ;) it kept everything fine, and i never even needed to adjust the chain once in over a year's worth of riding, including commuting, so i'd say it was definitely worth it. as to the mess, i have to admit i don't really remember there being much of a problem, but it was definitely a lot less hassle and much easier to deal with than manually lubing up a chain. my other half used to do that to her bike, and she hated it.

[quote="Magnum"]Thanks for the nice instruction by the way.[/quote]

you're welcome :) glad it's still of use - i almost took the pictures down when i last rebuilt my server, but figured that they didn't take up much space on my server, so i didn't mind so much just leaving them there. to be honest, i don't even have the bike any more - she was written off after an accident last november, and i'm still gutted about that. i haven't even been able to look at pictures of her since then. i just have to keep reminding myself that we had fun times together, and she at least got to go to the bulldog bash and on some fun rides, and live a little. it still makes me sad, though.

i'm still tempted to get another one, soon as my wrist is sorted out, though >:)

b
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

Hey Blades!
Thanks for your input. Sorry to hear about your rappie. I m sure you will recover and find your self a new one. I just love mine and I could not imagine loosing it :cry:

Cheers!
/M
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

Fitted mine yesterday! Placed the RMV where the saddle lock is. It´s a little more out of sight that way. It will be interesting to see how it will work. For some reason the swedish nickname for Scott oiler is "squirt oiler" :roll: :roll: .
Hopefully it will do it´s job and keep the chain fresh and the rim clean :)
So far, so good!

Cheers!
/M
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I`ve removed the scott oiler from my 1000 v-rap as i know of a couple of people that have had nasty accidents due to them dumping all the lube on the back tyre and then trying to get round a bend :shock: .It`s not a common occurance but i`m not taking the risk.
Mine had two feed points on the rear sprocket (either side) and one point near the swing arm pivot.It worked well enough but i was fed up with having to clean the crap off all the time.Lubing the old way and lube at every fuel stop using the same stuff as the motorcross guys as thats easier to wash off.You should still wash the chain regular as most people i`ve met with a scott oiler seem to forget this and end up with a nicepaste on the chian with all the road crap in there as well as the oil.
I if any one wants my oiler they can have it,it`s dirty but it still works and it`s free,Cheers ,AZ.
SCOTTOILER NOW GONE.
Last edited by AZ on |February 17th, 2010|, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
schepie
On the Road

Post by schepie »

AZ wrote:55 years agoI`ve removed the scott oiler from my 1000 v-rap as i know of a couple of people that have had nasty accidents due to them dumping all the lube on the back tyre and then trying to get round a bend :shock: .It`s not a common occurance but i`m not taking the risk.
Mine had two feed points on the rear sprocket (either side) and one point near the swing arm pivot.It worked well enough but i was fed up with having to clean the crap off all the time.Lubing the old way and lube at every fuel stop using the same stuff as the motorcross guys as thats easier to wash off.You should still wash the chain regular as most people i`ve met with a scott oiler seem to forget this and end up with a nicepaste on the chian with all the road crap in there as well as the oil.
I if any one wants my oiler they can have it,it`s dirty but it still works and it`s free,Cheers ,AZ.
You've got a pm :D
NZraptorgirl
On the Road

Post by NZraptorgirl »

I have a scottoiler on my ZRX1200 and on my wife's 650 Raptor. The ZRX does a lot more k's so it does get dirtier around the swingarm and rear rim but I also had it adjusted very high as I was doing a bit of riding through dusty road works. All I need to do on the clean up is squirt a small amount of degreaser on the buildup and hose it off. Don't even need to scrub and I find that a lot easier than spraying and rotating the wheel when on the road with only a sidestand.

Have never had oil on the rubber and i think if that was happening the drip rate would be too high. I have now set both at 1 drip every 50 seconds and that seems adequate without a large amount of runoff.

Like some others here, I am a bit forgetful so the reservoir takes care of my chain without me having a great deal of input. I know a number of people have installed the outlet for the oil under the front sprocket cover and that does seem to reduce the overthrow on the rear wheel and swingarm. I was just concerned at how easy it would be to adjust the drip rate as we get quite a variation in ambient temperature over the 12 months of available riding that we have down here :lol:

Cheers