Bike not running properly

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
norrie
On the Road

Bike not running properly

Post by norrie »

Well picked up my bike today and rode it 150 Miles home. It run fine for the first 120 Miles but started to lose power and was missing. I presumed that the fuel light wasn't working and I was running out of fuel and stopped for fuel. It was still the same after that.
I have drained both carbs and checked both plugs which seem fine I've also had the fuel pipe off which I presume is an in line filter (Gold triangle on the rhs of the bike just under the tank?) The bike was still running the same but then it seemed to clear for a bit and then started running dodgy again.
The bike hasn't done many Miles and has been sitting a while so that's why I was thinking moisture/dirt in the fuel. I'm going to replace the spark plugs anyway just in case but has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
snapdragon

Re: Bike not running properly

Post by snapdragon »

no expert specially on the 650, but I reckon I'd be tempted to put some fuel cleaner in - there's a chance that fuel has gloopified* somewhere if she's been standing a while

*(errm that is a technical term?? ;) )

glad you've got her though :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Does the 650 have the same tank drain problem? Did it look like there was any water when you drained carbs? Does it misfire or die and pickup?
If its a gentle thing usually carbs but if its sudden on/off usually ignition but not always.

Problems iv had with 1000 are:-

water in tank
coil failed
water in ecu connector
plugs

everything else has been great(thats blown it 7 years bad luck) :shock:
Bit of a Muppet
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Not sure if the 650 has a tank drain problem.
It was like the bike was running out of fuel i.e. it wouldn't accelerate and was losing power and sounded like it was missing. To me it felt either the plugs or coil were breaking down but could just as easily be a carb problem. I was thinking of moisture in the fuel as the bikes not been used much and been sitting for a while hence why I drained the carbs. Not sure if there was any water in there or not. I am thinking about taking off the tank and empying it completely as well as the carbs. Are the carbs easy to take off and re-fit? It will be hard to determine if the coil is at fault as it will only be breaking down under load. I will try the easy/cheap things first and take it from there. I do hope it's something simple as I really like the bike.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

drain the tank, dry out completely, flush and clean the carbs, then reassemble and if its still doing it, then you have narrowed it down a lot!!
ensure all the drains and vents are clear too!
Was it still running on both cylinders when the problem was occurring?

best of...............
nil illigitimae carborundum
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

also.................

find it strange it ran fine for 120 miles then started playing up, was it cold/ damp on run back?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

another also..........................

checked status of battery????
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

It might be carburettor icing, mine does this on cold damp days, if the problem clears after a short stop then comes back a few miles later , then thats what it is. You can get bottles of stuff in Halfords to help prevent it. normally most obvious when after a long steadty cruise you slow down for traffic or such then I get a faltering on reopening the throttles, thats carb icing.
Ive also had water in fuel problems, on the RHS below the footrest are two breather pipes which point down and are held in a small frame loop, one is a tank vent the other is the coolant overflow from the header tank.
Open the fuel cap lid and pour a little fuel in the hole around outer rim of the filler area, it should run out the pipe near the foot rest.
If it doesnt then try blowing through the line to clear any obstruction, I get flies in mine!.
Any blockage of this pipe allows water/ rain to get into the main body of the fuel tank, I am carefull to keep my bike out of the rain now.

Since then Ive replaced the fuel tap , and level sender , I reckon both were done in by the excess water.
Ive had to dump a whole tank of fuel before , adding the anti water stuff helps up to a point , but I reckon there was over 2 litres in mine when I finally gave up draining the carb float bowls.
Ive had the same Iridium plugs in for 20K now .

The tank is best completely removed, carbs are fairly easy to take off, leave togehter as a unit and remove throttle cables at the twist grip, and are a lot easier to work on this way, its a good idea to check the choke plungers while they are off , some SV motors have issues with these getting munged up and sticking, they are a pain to get at when still on the bike. Have paper towels handy to plug intakes and keep crap out.
The trickiest part of reassembly is getting the airbox back on, a good fitting long screwdriver , a large range of expletives and a torch are a good idea. I hate that bit.
Stay calm.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Just a thought.. check clutch switch and sidestand switch :revrev:
Twisted Tequila Sister
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Yes, the 650 has the same water in the tank problems with the 1000, due to clogged breather pipe....mine is ie though, carburators? can't say anything about them...
It's all greek to me....
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Okay I think I've sorted the problem. :D

Took the tank off and drained it completely and drained the carbs again. When I lifted the petrol cap the filler neck was full of water and it went into the tank because the drain is completely blocked. I tried to unscrew the tank drain but it wouldn't come out it was just spinning. I take it there's a captive nut in there and there's no way of stopping it spinning. I tried to unblock it with a small piece of wire and by blowing air up and down the pipe but to no avail.

Anyway the bike seems to be running okay now but I've still go the problem of perhaps getting water in the tank each time it rains or I wash the bike. I'm thinking about putting a piece of chamois leather around the tank filler neck to at least absorb any water that's lying there so it wont go into the tank. I would really like to somehow unblock the drain but not sure how to.

Also I found the petrol feed pipe from the pump to be kinked so that probably didn't help matters.

Thanks for everyones help I really appreciate it from one happy Raptor owner.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Norrie,

glad you seem to have it sorted but you will need to get the drain unblocked. Do a search, i remember reading on here a variety of methods on how best to do it. I`m sure you can deal with a kinky pipe............................... ; )

All the best
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

The problem is I can't get the nipple out of the tank it's just spinning.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Looking at the nipple from below, pull off the drain hose and try running a small drill 2mm or so through the nipple and blow through to clear.
You may get it to undo by twisting with a spanner to undo and wedging a knife between the nipple and the tank to pry it free.
Stay calm.