Painting seat panels.

General spannery stuff
norrie
On the Road

Painting seat panels.

Post by norrie »

I'm thinking about painting my bike and was wondering if anyone has had any success in painting the seat panels?
I think it would look a lot better with them painted as well.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Painting seat panels.

Post by shedmonkey »

Iv not painted the seat panels but have painted other plastic bits ,shouldnt be a problem as long as you use a plastic primer.
Bit of a Muppet
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Get them nice and warm(but dont melt them) with a heat gun or hair dryer and wash with hot soapy water(heat brings any remaining mould release agent to the surface and soapy water washes it away as its a water based release agent) then plastic prime after abrading with fine scotch brite.Re prime with a high build primer,loads needed to fill the moulded texture and flat when dry untill smooth. Now paint in desired colour.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Doesn't the 650ie have colour coded seat panels?
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

on Mels 650ie the seat panels were colour coordinated and the side panels were the plain black plastic textured finish.
nil illigitimae carborundum
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Ok thanks. I was thinking about leaving them dimpled but not sure what it would look like. Would it not take ages to fill the dimples with filler primer?
I was wondering about leaving them unpainted as I'm painting the wheels as well but not sure.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

You could give em 1 coat of filler primer then a light skim of filler,rub down and re prime and paint but my paint was free so i just put loads on and wet flatted it back untill smooth.Lazy really ,just couldn`t be bothered mixing filler and priming twice.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!