Bike not running properly again.

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
norrie
On the Road

Bike not running properly again.

Post by norrie »

I thought I had sorted the bad running putting it down to fuel as I after I had drained the tank and carbs and put some fresh fuel in it seemed to be running fine.
Done about 180 Miles on Sunday no problem and then for the last 20 Miles or so it started to run rough again. I'm not sure if it's mechanical or electrical. It feels as though it's running out of fuel or one cylinder isn't firing properly. I've ordered new plugs just in case its as simple as that but has anyone got any other ideas?
Oh and does anyone know if you can buy a proper workshop manual for the bike?

Thanks.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
pod
On the Road

Re: Bike not running properly again.

Post by pod »

Try draining the carb float bowls again, use small bore pipe to run the guff into a jar and be sure theres no more water. Did you fix the tank filler area drain?

What was the weather like at the time, if cold and damp it may have been carb icing, this clears after the carbs warm back up.

I got a paper copy of a Suzuki manual for the SV650, it tells you all about carb , motor and electrics.
Try googling.
Stay calm.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Try opening fuel cap and listen if you get a hiss maybe vent is blocked. Does the 650 have a fuel tap? if so maybe blockage in there. Otherwise it could be plugs coil ht leads or a bad connection on ecu to ignition. Or as pod says carb icing is possible does it have carb heaters and if so are they working?
Good luck
Bit of a Muppet
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Only reason my bike runs on 1 cylinder is because there's water in the fuel, or the front spark plug drain is blocked. Take your key guard off, undo the 2 allen key bolts underneath and tilt your tank up to almost vertical(good idea to do when you haven't got much fuel in the tank). You'll see a hose connected to the back right hand underside corner of the tank, that's the tank filler drain that Pod mentioned. If you look inside the fuel cap, there is a hole, and it allows fuel overfill to drain away, as well as water that gets in around the edges of the fuel cap. The hose barb that screws into the tank looks like it has a poor quality galvanising on it and corrodes quickly causing the hole to block up, hence no drainage and water sitting inside the fuel filler eventually seeps into the tank. I drained float bowls 3 times on the side of the road on a dark wet night a long way from home, found the drain problem afterwards, fixed it and 6 months latter it was blocked again. I have removed it permanently now, but after a bit of googling, I'm pretty sure you can find a plastic one which will overcome the corrosion/bocking issue. To check if the drain is blocked, trace that drain hose down to near the right hand foot peg and blow on it.

No workshop manual for the 650, have to use the 1000cc raptor manual, and the sv650 manual for the motor. No fuel tap on the 650's Shedmonkey.

If it's icing I have no idea, I've got to see snow first before I have to worry about icing :cold:
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Question, when you say running badly, could it be described as similar to;
Bike running fine, on Idle, fine on Rev's when stood still. However when the throttle is opened it's like opening the power on a 2Bhp scooter. Rev's don't climb and it feels as if one cyclinder is doing all the work.

If so, I had a similar issue, the below sorted it.

Bowls emptied and Front carb cleaned (jets and butterfly valve)
Spark plugs cleaned up - Inlcuding the area they go in on the engine.
Reseated Airbox. - As daft as it sounds, my airbox wasn't sat propoerly on the front carb, and was drawing in air from the rubber seal on the carb to airbox join.
Choke Cable - This was totally seized in Off position due to shite all over engine (I should clean the bike more often) But also made the bike impossible to start in cold weather without sitting and holding the rev's on.

Non of the above might help but ya never know.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

The 650 K1 rap has a vacuum operated fuel tap.

Mine failed after water ingress and wouldnt shut properly, does not affect normal running.

carb heaters even if fitted have little or no effect, the carb heaters in my bike work ( located in float bowls) and my carbs still ice up on cold /damp runs.
Stay calm.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

The 1000's can suffer from corrosion/breakdown on the front plug lead and cap, causing intermittent running on one... not sure if the 650 has the same issues.
Twisted Tequila Sister
ColleyV12
On the Road

Post by ColleyV12 »

It does sound like the bike is not getting enough fuel, I would check the fuel vent as suggested, mine had a problem after only 1500 miles from new that you could run it full revs everywhere and it was fine unless you took it on a long run and the tank created a vacuum. Garage could not replicate the problem cause they did not drive it far enough. Admittedly, it took about 50 miles in one long run without stopping to get the problem to happen.

Filler cap was replaced and everything was fine, try a long run with the cap slightly open to stop it creating the vacuum, obviously on a dry day.

There is a small vent around the bottom of the fuel cap that got blocked.

Regards
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Front or rear cylinder?

Front? Wet plug?, from condensation or rain spun off the fender. Common issue.
rear? Dunno

Spray some WD40 up the engine breather hole, on the right hand side of the front cylinder.....All the crap down the spark plug gets trapped in there.
It might help. :?
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/040 ... 2_5242.JPG
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

I've not had a chance to have a look at it yet however I have got new plugs to put in and will report back.

Thanks.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Ok eventually had time to have a proper look at the bike.
I tried new plugs first but to no avail.
I have checked the resistance of the coils, leads and pulse generator coil and all are in order.
I decided it must be a problem with the carbs and removed them. I've had a quick look at them and there is some gunk present in one of the float chambers so I'm going to strip and clean them as I think this must be the problem.

Where is the best place to buy parts for the carbs? i.e. Suzuki or Cagiva? Are there any online places? Also does anyone know if you can buy a kit to overhaul the carbs or do you have to buy the o-rings etc all seperately?

Again any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I would check on the make, model and size of the carbs and then do a google search on them. You may find someone who will do rebuild kits for them, I would not try to buy o-rings individually as you will not be able to guarantee that they are made of the right material.
152/999
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Generally speaking o rings made from viton should be ok any bearing or transmission supplier should be able to get them ,but a kit is always going to be better value unless all you want is an o ring or 2.
Bit of a Muppet
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

There are only 4 o-rings to replace when you do a carb rebuild.
14. One that seals the float bowl: Part no. 13258-33E00
21. One on the air/mixture screw Part No. 13295-29900
40. One on the choke holder/guide Part No. 13278-18E20
8. One that holds the main needle in place Part No. 09280-05004
(Suzuki part numbers taken from here http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... CARBURETOR Numbered respectively)

You can also get these kits that include a new float valve and needle http://www.amazon.com/01-02-SUZUKI-SV65 ... B002PZDCHQ

Make sure you remove the float valve seat and clean the filter behind it. To get to it you need to remove the pin that holds the float, the needle is hooked onto the float, under that is a phillips head screw, undo it and then the seat it holds in can be tapped out/grasped with pointy nose pliers and removed. The filter slips over the end of this seat, it can be prised off gently. Also clean out all the gunk behind where that filter is(fuel inlet).
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

I completely stripped and cleaned the carbs and one of the main jets was blocked and the rest of the carbs were really dirty. I soaked them in petrol and cleaned out all the jets etc put it back together and it seems fine now.

Happy days I'm on the road again. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input guys.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!