Leaking Fork on Raptor 1000

Chat about anything
abbot
On the Road

Leaking Fork on Raptor 1000

Post by abbot »

HELP!

Thought fork seal had gone, closer inspection seem there is a crack on the outer piece half an inch above the dust seal with oil weeping. Probably need a new fork leg, anybody else had this problem or is it just me? Only done 6000 miles from new, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Abbot
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Leaking Fork on Raptor 1000

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Abbot,

thats sounds a very unusual fault. If the fork leg has indeed cracked other than a manufacturing defect it is most likely to have been caused by some sort of heavy impact.

Have you had an off or struck anything of late?
Are the forks working properly apart from the leak?
Which model/year bike is it you have?

If nothing else it gives you the opportunity to upgrade your forks to something fully adjustable as to be honest the standard forks aint much cop.

Yam R1 forks from 98/2000 fit straight in the yokes (I have a set fitted)
nil illigitimae carborundum
abbot
On the Road

Post by abbot »

Hi Tartan,

Thanks for advice, may go down the R1 route then. Never had an off nor had the guy I bought it off who had it from new. Worrying 'ey.
Bike is immaculate it has only covered 6000 miles, so must conclude a manufacturing fault. Will the brake callipers and mud guard fit with R1 forks?

Thanks again

Abbot
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Abbot,

I fitted the R1 forks to my 05 1000 Vrap. I reckon the 650 should be the same as frames are interchangeable. Dont know what you have got!

The front mudguard wont fit without a lot of new bracketry and faffing about, just get an R1 guard (cheap as fekk!)

Same with the calipers, can be made to fit but will need to manufacture brackets, get some Yam blue spots to go with the forks, they are another upgrade on the brembo`s (better feel and stronger braking)

Your Cagiva discs will be fine whatever calipers you choose.

get a R1 spindle as its easy to modify to fit and a couple of spacers and away you go!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

First time I've heard of that abbot, in errm 12 (I think) years of ownership and most of those years on this forum.
I'm shocked as it does sound like a manufacturing fault or a serious injury, shame as at under 7k the bike isn't even run-in yet.

CT probably has your solution ^ there, as replacing originals is a rather lotta dosh and hardly worth it
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Ah the debate about front forks.
I also had a leaking fork but the seal had blown because of pitting to the stantion.

While I have no doubt the R1 setup would be a lot better for the fast hard riders of the world who can set them up correctly, for average riders I doubt they could tell the difference especially if it's not setup correctly.

The Raptor is a well set up and planted bike straight out of the crate for what it is.
I had to buy new forks (2nd hand). I got a pair of ebay for £80. I took them to my mate (owns his own bike workshop) who serviced them and put slightly thicker oil in them to firm them up a little. He did say normal oil would do the same but as I like a harder front and softer rear thats what he did. It made a big difference. Oil degrades after time.

Now I don't claim to be Rossi in drag but I can ride a little and have done a few track days and can tell a good set up from a bad 1.

My advice would be if you are a hard fast rider doing tracks days with money to burn and a shed and a bit of time go down the R1 setup if not get a pair of 2nd forks and get both serviced or a least new oil in them.

Thats just my opinion. No doubt some will disagree but the choice is yours. Good luck with whatever you do and if you live anywhere Lincoln I might be able to help with a leg for a while till you get a another 1.
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

everything Mark says is spot on however the R1 forks can be set up pretty soft and compliant as they have a lot of adjustment in them standard.

They soak up the bumps much better than the Rap forks at all speeds and do make a real differance if you are pushing on a bit.

I used to know a guy who was a suspension tech for a race team and he said the best thing to do with a budget/standard set of forks is to put in good quality oil (the right amount) and fit linear rate springs (never progressive). The hard bit is knowing the best grade oil to use and knowing the right amount to use as the standard oil/amount can be badly out.

I fitted Ohlins linear rate springs specifically for my all-up weight and used 5W oil but he worked out the amount of oil best to use (strangely enough was differant in each leg!) This was on a Bandit 12 I used to have and it totally transformed the bike.
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Hey CT if only money was no object!! :( :( :(
Best make do with what i have.. :evil: :evil:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi i have a spare set of forks(without yokes) £60(plus postage) if it helps? pm me if your interested
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years agoHey CT if only money was no object!! :( :( :(
Best make do with what i have.. :evil: :evil:
Agree mark, if your standard forks are working fine and you can get a setup yer happy with then no point in changing.

The OP has damaged a fork leg and getting a single wont be easy, even a pair wont be cheap, so an older pair of R1 forks are likely to be cheaper as they are much more abundant! Plus you get the upgrade too...................

Then Shed, the git, goes and offers a pair cheap as chips just to fekk my arguement!!
(wonder where he got them from???) :D :happyhappy: :evil: :evil: :doh: :thumbsup: :nerner: :wink: :wink:
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

:haha:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

(wonder where he got them from???)

Errrrr that would be from the major northern stockist of all things raptor errrrrrrr you CT :lol:
Bit of a Muppet