Gear Clunk between 3rd n 4th

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
guroojosh
On the Road

Gear Clunk between 3rd n 4th

Post by guroojosh »

Hi guys, just Purchased my V Raptor 1000 with only 10000ks on it and when i change from 3rd to 4th, i find a false neutral, then i pull the clutch in and change to 4th, it really clunks into gear and my heart cringes as i don't like hurting my newly found love. it only happens when i really give it to her so not sure weather its the gear that's worn or a clutch problem?
just ticked over 14000ks now and not sure if i heard the sound before ( coz i had my helmet off putting it in the Shed) but sounds like the gearbox has a bit more metallic clutter a low revs than before. Have i done any damage to the box? Any help would be appreciated:)
Miz
On the Road

Re: Gear Clunk between 3rd n 4th

Post by Miz »

Hi, welcome in, when you have a minute, pop into the bar and introduce yourself. :beer:

The gearbox is normally very good on the TL engine,

Have you checked the gar lever linkage for play?

Is the gear lever position suited to you?

If you try the gearchange with the engine stopped and back wheel off the floor (rocking by hand), how does the change feel/work?

Drain the oil into a clean container and check it for metal fragments.
152/999
guroojosh
On the Road

Post by guroojosh »

Yeh think the gear change leaver is too high for my foot, about to change oil this week n will adjust gear leaver aswell, so will let you know. I was reading on tlzone that the detent arm spring can break n may be the cause of false neutrals in the earlier TLRs ,have you herd of this happening in the V Raptor? Mine is a 2000 model and they say they fixed the issue in the later TLRs.? The noise that i said before that was a metallic clattering, after reading this thread http://www.tlzone.net/forums/help-forum ... -help.html
Kinda sounds like a loose rattling metal sound more than a clatter, as i only hear it at idol or very low revs when i creep forward in first. But not sure if its just me being paranoid?
Thanks for the Advice Miz
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

If it is a rattle when you are moving the bike, check your chain tension, as it can catch on the exhaust when it has a little slack in it.
152/999
guroojosh
On the Road

Post by guroojosh »

Thanks heaps Miz ill go over the bike n check the chain /gear lever and change oil hopefully its just the simple tune up?
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Clean oil and adjust the chain. Often gear change problems can be put down to incorrect chain adjustment. Check for tight spots as well.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

yup, as mentioned above, lever adjustment or chain tension could be it.

I did have a false neutral once on the motorway (rider error no seventh gear :oops: ) but not in the rest of the box

with only 10k miles the poor beastie has been spending a lot of time standing still so a tight spot could have occurred

cruelty to Raptors in her past :(

Alternatively stay in third :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
guroojosh
On the Road

Post by guroojosh »

Changed the oil filter & oil/ Adjusted gear leaver and chain/oiled chain. What do you know Its a new bike, I've noticed a massive difference in the way it rides. When i back off the throttle it doesn't throw me over the handle bars like it used to try and do, nor does it whack me in the back when powering on . Not sure if the chain is too tight? about 40mm of slack when sitting on it. Some people say it should be a bit loose on bigger bikes. Feels like its lost a little power or is it just cause its a smoother delivery?, just got so used to nursing the throttle all the time. Plus it was a very windy day so i just put it down to that at the moment.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

guroojosh wrote:55 years agoChanged the oil filter & oil/ Adjusted gear leaver and chain/oiled chain. What do you know Its a new bike, I've noticed a massive difference in the way it rides. When i back off the throttle it doesn't throw me over the handle bars like it used to try and do, nor does it whack me in the back when powering on . Not sure if the chain is too tight? about 40mm of slack when sitting on it. Some people say it should be a bit loose on bigger bikes. Feels like its lost a little power or is it just cause its a smoother delivery?, just got so used to nursing the throttle all the time. Plus it was a very windy day so i just put it down to that at the moment.
8) Its amazing what an oil change can do . Better to run the chain on these a little on the slack side rather than tight. Don't overfill the oil,keep it halfway up the sight glass between the high low levels when upright
guroojosh
On the Road

Post by guroojosh »

:thumbsup: Next time were at the pub its my shout!!Saved me a small fortune , thanks to everyone for your knowledge.
Appreciate it!! :notworthy:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

aha chain could be a tad on the slack side - recommended is 25mm at rest (no rider) as I recall
(I use rule of thumb because my top thumb joint is about 25mm)
please take care, if this is the original chain it could need replacing soon see my previous screech>
http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... f=11&t=221
we don't want any more nasty chain break incidents :(

glad to hear she's going better for you anyways :happyhappy:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Good to hear. :thumbsup:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Chain sure is slack.
I've tried various settings and I found out that the best is about 3cm when on sidestand.
Manual mentions 2,5cms when the bike is with no weight
guroojosh
On the Road

Post by guroojosh »

yeh thanks peoples, gona change the chain at next service, for piece of mind. Is it worth changing the front n rear sprockets at the same time?
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Welcome in Josh! Yeah it's *usually* a good idea to do the sprockets at the same time, if they've been used a fair bit, the usual C&S thread is over at http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=3653 and has heaps of good advice, beware the pesky 121mm rear diameter which seems to be unique to the raps, but you'll find heaps of all in one kits on fleabay.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.