298mm standard disc rotors v 320mm

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Boofhead
On the Road

298mm standard disc rotors v 320mm

Post by Boofhead »

G'day everyone in Raptor land,

I was wondering if anyone has put 320mm rotors on their Rap and if it was worth it, or are they not suited to the Rap?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting closer to finishing my GSXR K4/K5 fork conversion and I was considering using the bigger rotors as it would be easier to machine the rotor/caliper spacers for the new rotors that I have in mind, rather than making spacers for the Raps rotors.

I did read somewhere here in the Raptorchapter that someone had done the swap and thought they were too aggressive for the Rap.

Any thoughts?

Cheers from Boofhead
V4mp
On the Road

Re: 298mm standard disc rotors v 320mm

Post by V4mp »

Boofhead wrote:55 years agoG'day everyone in Raptor land,

I was wondering if anyone has put 320mm rotors on their Rap and if it was worth it, or are they not suited to the Rap?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting closer to finishing my GSXR K4/K5 fork conversion and I was considering using the bigger rotors as it would be easier to machine the rotor/caliper spacers for the new rotors that I have in mind, rather than making spacers for the Raps rotors.

I did read somewhere here in the Raptorchapter that someone had done the swap and thought they were too aggressive for the Rap.

Any thoughts?

Cheers from Boofhead
I think 320mm discs itself dont make a big difference if they make any at all ?
In my mind calibers and MC makes the difference.
Does GSXR use 300mm or 320mm discs ?
I think you should use as few spacers as possible !
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

so you are putting a complete front end from a gsxr onto your rap?

I take it you want to keep the rap wheel?

Easiest way is to get rotors to fit the rap wheel and keep the standard setup from the gsxr. (modify the rotors to fit the rap wheel and spacers etc. to make the calipers fit)

The only other issue is the wheel spindle.

I wouldnt worry about the brakes being compatible, if they are much more powerful than the rap`s then dont pull so hard!!!

Sounds pretty easy but is never completely straighforward, dont know if anyone has done the same on here but do your research and if you have access to a machine shop jobs a good un`
nil illigitimae carborundum
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

I have fitted 320mm discs on my 650, in fact it is the whole front end of Aprilia tuono. They make too much of a difference, you can get over the handlebars easily or loose the handlebars to the side if you are not concetrated. i would fit the old ones back if it wasn't such a big deal.
It's all greek to me....
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

G'day everyone in Raptor land,

Thanks for everyones input on this rotor topic, however it's a false alarm! sorry

The GSX-R K4/K5 have 300mm rotors & the forks are nearly identical in length etc to the Raps (which is why I chose them & I also like to keep mods Suzuki) but the GSX-R rotors have no offset. The GSX-R rotors are 6mm further apart from centre to centre which means I need to make 3mm spacers or find rotors with a 13mm offset (Raps have a 10mm offset).
I 'assumed' the outside of the Raps rotors were flush with the outside of the wheels hub, but they're not. If they were flush, the rotor wouldn't centre itself properly as it would only have 1mm overlap & the hub has a radiused edge. And that is why I was looking for other options.
After a further inspection of the front wheel, I found out that the hub is 2mm proud of the rotor, so all is good!!
What it boils down to is that the hub has a 6mm step for the rotor's I.D. to centre itself on, but the rotor is only 4mm thick. So if I use a 3mm spacer, the rotor will only be 1mm proud of the hub, but will still have 3mm of its thickness on the hubs step to center itself.... goodo
Or maybe if I use a 2mm spacer, the rotor would be flush with the hub & the calipers pistons (which are 2012 GSX-R 600 radial Brembo's) could take up the 1mm of difference? Will have to talk to a mechanic about that option.

So thanks once again for everyones input :happyhappy: . When it is all done, & I've done a few K's on the above set up :ride: , I will do another write up with pic's, dimensions etc like I did for the clutch conversion for those who are interested :D

Cheers from Boofhead
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoI have fitted 320mm discs on my 650, in fact it is the whole front end of Aprilia tuono. They make too much of a difference, you can get over the handlebars easily or loose the handlebars to the side if you are not concetrated. i would fit the old ones back if it wasn't such a big deal.
Doesnt that whole Tuonos front end include new brake calibers too ?
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Boofhead wrote:55 years agoSo thanks once again for everyones input :happyhappy: . When it is all done, & I've done a few K's on the above set up :ride: , I will do another write up with pic's, dimensions etc like I did for the clutch conversion for those who are interested :D

Cheers from Boofhead
:thumbsup:
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

V4mp wrote:55 years ago
vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoI have fitted 320mm discs on my 650, in fact it is the whole front end of Aprilia tuono. They make too much of a difference, you can get over the handlebars easily or loose the handlebars to the side if you are not concetrated. i would fit the old ones back if it wasn't such a big deal.

No, they are exactly the same.
It's all greek to me....
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years ago
V4mp wrote:55 years ago

No, they are exactly the same.
After googling I found out that older Tuono has non-radial front calibers.... Sorry my bad ! :blush:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Good to hear you're happy Boof, it's all a bit over my head TBH. But getting a write up would be great, having stuff documented on here makes it so much easier for newcomers to the party. If you've got stuff to add to the fork chart thread over at http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=4401 then go nuts!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I did gsxr 04 (showa) forks with r1 monoblock calipers, armstrong 310mm rotors on my sv1k . Very nice 8) I really like the gsxr radial forks but i am fairly happy with the raptor setup so will leave as is (for now) apart from new rotors still to fit :roll:
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

nice exhaust pipe..
It's all greek to me....
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agonice exhaust pipe..
:happyhappy: I would have thought the raptor1000 has as much power as the sv1k , but my raptor certainly wont wheelstand off the throttle like my sv could ,and that with pretty much standard gearing on the sv, maybe the exhaust and airbox makes that much difference although the later 05 and up sv1000 did have 54mm throttle bodies,as for the raptor brakes the oem brakes are already a more than adequate setup , now combined with race lines, a set of wavy discs and pads can also make a big difference :nod:
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

I will eventually race my v-raptor and will need better forks.
I too wouldn't mind using 320mm rotors. When I get round to it I'll share info.
I'm think k4 750 or k5 1000 forks and r1 monoblocs with matching master or Brembo.
I think (hoping) the front rim can be retained with a Ducati or aprilia rotor and spacers?
Otherwise it looks like a relatively easy swap if you retain the rotors.

The raptor brakes are quite good but the front suspension is very basic and not suitable for hard braking.