Tracking my Cagiva Raptor 1000

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
spank36
On the Road

Tracking my Cagiva Raptor 1000

Post by spank36 »

Guys I'm going to do a track day on the mighty raptor, any advice from people who have done it?

Also, does anyone know where to get crash bungs for the raptor?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Tracking my Cagiva Raptor 1000

Post by Crap Tartan »

crash bungs available on ebay.
Mini service before you go, check all fluid levels, lube whatever needs doing and adjust chain, check wheel alignment, makes sure brakes are spot on and plenty of pad left. Check all torque settings of important fastenings!
Inspect tyres and make sure pressures are correct (I would drop a couple of psi for track day).
Fill up with fuel just before you get to track as you soon use it up! (take spare if possible).

Finally, dont be a hero, take your time to build up confidence, dont try to stay out too long, give yourself regular breaks.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy! (you will do)
nil illigitimae carborundum
spank36
On the Road

Post by spank36 »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agocrash bungs available on ebay.
Mini service before you go, check all fluid levels, lube whatever needs doing and adjust chain, check wheel alignment, makes sure brakes are spot on and plenty of pad left. Check all torque settings of important fastenings!
Inspect tyres and make sure pressures are correct (I would drop a couple of psi for track day).
Fill up with fuel just before you get to track as you soon use it up! (take spare if possible).

Finally, dont be a hero, take your time to build up confidence, dont try to stay out too long, give yourself regular breaks.

Thanks mate, I'll make sure I do all that.

I just got a new set of tyres I just have to sort out my front brakes, I'm not overly happy with them.

I want a new set of handlebars too, my bike came with a set of motocross renthals. I'm going to change them to the renthal road lows or ultra lows.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

spank36 wrote:55 years ago

I just got a new set of tyres I just have to sort out my front brakes, I'm not overly happy with them.

I want a new set of handlebars too, my bike came with a set of motocross renthals. I'm going to change them to the renthal road lows or ultra lows.
I have a spare set of SRT low rise bars setup for the raptor if you interested
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

The less worries you have about things not spot on with your bike the more you can concentrate on enjoying and getting the best from the track time.

Try to get a few miles on your tyres first, brand new is not best for first play on a track. You also need to have confidence in your brakes too as you will push the bike so much further than you ever do on the road so if its a concern in road riding then it could be a nightmare on the track.

Go at a pace you are easily comfortable to start with (even if it feels slowish and everyone else dissappears over the horizon) then build up from there as you get to know the nuances of the track more and the bike warms and you get into a groove with your riding.
spank36
On the Road

Post by spank36 »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago

The less worries you have about things not spot on with your bike the more you can concentrate on enjoying and getting the best from the track time.

Try to get a few miles on your tyres first, brand new is not best for first play on a track. You also need to have confidence in your brakes too as you will push the bike so much further than you ever do on the road so if its a concern in road riding then it could be a nightmare on the track.

Go at a pace you are easily comfortable to start with (even if it feels slowish and everyone else dissappears over the horizon) then build up from there as you get to know the nuances of the track more and the bike warms and you get into a groove with your riding.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a quick road rider but reached a point where i can't go any further on the road, plus I've always wanted to do it. My tyres are a few hundred k's old now so they will be beautiful in a couple of weeks :)

Any tips for tidying the front brake up? I've put fresh fluids through it and made sure the pistons were working nicely but I still don't love them. I may have to look at the master cylinder and give it a good clean up.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

so whats the problem with the front brake?
Is it spongy when pulled?
Fading when braking hard?
Too much initial bite or not enough?

When you put fresh fluid in did you make sure you got all air out of the system?

If the pistons are moving freely then its either the pressure (see above) or your pads/ discs are shit.

De-glaze both pads and discs and leave the brake hard on (zip-tie) overnight with the reservoir lid loose so its not airtight. Any bubbles should find there way upwards back to the reservoir.

I have done track days with the Rap on standard brakes (now have R1 set-up) and they cope fine when working properly.

Whatever you do, dont let your ambition level get above your ability level then all should stay tickety boo!
spank36
On the Road

Post by spank36 »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoso whats the problem with the front brake?
Is it spongy when pulled?
Fading when braking hard?
Too much initial bite or not enough?

When you put fresh fluid in did you make sure you got all air out of the system?

If the pistons are moving freely then its either the pressure (see above) or your pads/ discs are shit.

De-glaze both pads and discs and leave the brake hard on (zip-tie) overnight with the reservoir lid loose so its not airtight. Any bubbles should find there way upwards back to the reservoir.

I have done track days with the Rap on standard brakes (now have R1 set-up) and they cope fine when working properly.

Whatever you do, dont let your ambition level get above your ability level then all should stay tickety boo!
I put new pads on when I got it which did make a difference.

The brakes are just lacking overall power and initial bite. They are slightly spongy but I did the zip tie when I last bled the brakes and I checked them recently for air. I'll do the zip tie trick again, there could be a tiny bit left in there somewhere.

I have to use 4 fingers most of the time which really shits me having used 2 finger braking most of my life.

I will give everything a once over to check its all good.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

What type of pads you got fitted?

They are not all the same.................

I would de-glaze pads and discs to see if that helps?
spank36
On the Road

Post by spank36 »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoWhat type of pads you got fitted?

They are not all the same.................

I would de-glaze pads and discs to see if that helps?
I'm running metal gear sintered pads. I've run them in the past and they offer good power but can be wooden feeling.

I did the bold zip tie trick again and that's taken out the spongeyness. They are still wooden feeling though and the lever action isn't completely smooth. I'll make sure the master cylinder is all good and give it a good clean.

Any pads people reccomend?

Also, I want to do a track day at lakeside but I'm a bit concerned about noise. I've got the dB killers in but they were stating 95db track side and youre out :(