G'day all, can I ask your opinions on fuel pumps?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Spyke
On the Road

G'day all, can I ask your opinions on fuel pumps?

Post by Spyke »

Hi folks, lovely site you've got here, hope you don't mine me hopping on board.

My name's Lou, I've got Xtra Raptor 214 for my weekend warrior, and a Ducati 620ie for my commute. I'm in Perth, Australia, although I hail from Edinburgh mostly, born in the Scottish borders. I call myself a Scossie now I'm a dual citizen!

I grabbed a voddy and coke at the bar, and left some cash with the barkeep, so feel free to order one on me! :drunk:

214's been off the road for a while, got new oil and filter this week, but the fuel pumps a gonner. I've been searching t'interwebz and it seems that many fuel pumps will work allright, either TL1000R, TL1000S, BMW S1000RR, and even some Ford, Suzuki, and Mitsubishi cars. Seeing as my local Floozy dealer wants $771 :o for the replacement unit, and Cagiva are even worse at $1200, I'm hoping to bypass them and get one cheap!

So is this still the wurd on fuel pumps, do you think? Anybody in Oz able to point me at one? I've seen this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Intank-F ... 0781065329 and this http://www.onlyfuelpumps.com/oem-replac ... p-382.html online, and they both have a lifetime warranty, but TBH I'd rather buy locally if I can get something soon and cheap!

Anyway, it's nice to meet youse all! :dance:
Last edited by Spyke on |March 16th, 2013|, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
snapdragon

Re: G'day all, can I ask your opinions on fuel pumps?

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Spyke, fuel pumps?
hmm
err
no idea

but I'll have a pint of Braggard ta :drunk:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

i recall reading somewhere that they are simillar to a lot of cars but the problem is the outlet or inlet is different but can be adapted to suit it depends how handy you are. I think i would take it down to your nearest car spares shop and see if they have something.
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

When we had my tank apart, we were perplexed as to what it was, and after a wee bit of research found it to be from a TL1000R

That was for the whole big thingy.
On our eBay here in the UK, you can pick up the whole unit for 75 quid!!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
turbomart
On the Road

Post by turbomart »

Ive had my pump assemble out (to adjust low level light) and pump looked a lot like vn,vt commodore unit. Ive fitted other brand pumps to cars before and the only worry is getting hose fittings of right size and flow/pressures same or greater.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Well I ordered the fleabay one, should be here next week then *hopefully* my mechanic won't have too much trouble fitting it. Cheers all!
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Howdi!!

My fuel pump has the following info on it.

SUZUKI

15100-02FBO

MITSUBISHI

So it's a Mitsu pump made or badged for suzuki for their TL series. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

YEAH!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Thanks @yeah!, yeah :D the fleabay one is doing a great job, happy camper here!

Wasn't quite the same as the one shown in the Raptor 1000 manual I downloaded recently (thanks again, muchly, BTW), but my mechanic got it to fit and she's running well again. :ride:
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Hello Spyke baby!

The one on the bottom of my tank looks nothing like your new one. Where did your mech put your new one and would you recommend it for easy fitting?

Thanks Spyke, see you soon

Yeah!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, what does your one look like? My mech put my new one in the spot that the old one came out of! Here's a pic of my "fuel pump assembly", when it was ready for refitting into the base of the tank after my recent fuel filter adventures, the red oval on the left shows the fuel pump in place, it pumps the fuel through the hose at the top and thence to the white plastic fuel filter top right. The pump I got was a virtual straight swap for the stupidly-priced OEM one. My mechanic only had to change the electrical connectors I think, and when I was doing the filter I just made a few cuts into the rubber seat so it would sit slightly better but that was probably just me being a neat freak rather than anything the really needed done as it has been working perfectly. I think the only change I've made since the pic was to put a proper right angle bend into the pump->filter arrangement as I didn't like the hose kink imposed by my Supercheap filter not having an angle joint in it like the OEM one originally had. Will catch up with you soon I hope.
FuelPumpAssembly.jpg
FuelPumpAssembly.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 7322 times