Fork Swap

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Fork Swap

Post by Trevor68 »

Slowly getting the Raptor into shape, the new Wilbers rear shock has exposed how stuffed the forks are, so it is their turn now. I was just going to go for seals, new springs and a revalve, but then saw a set of GSXR 1000 K7 Forks near me for $250.

I've done a fair bit of reading of old topics, but no one ever seems to really get into specific lengths etc. Does anyone know if these are close to the same length as the raptor?

Also any guidance on which axle, spacers, calipers, rotors, master cylinder etc would be grand.

I have done a fork swap before and a friend has a lathe, really just need some guidance so I don't buy a whole bunch of parts that don't go together. :)
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Trevor68
Web Dude

Re: Fork Swap

Post by Trevor68 »

Well I have started collecting bits. So far I have

K7 1K Forks
K4 1K Complete brakes with S/S lines
K10 1K Axle.

Update: Ah bugger, just realised the K8 forks are 50/56 and the Cagiva triples are 50/54 I believe, so back to fork shopping.

Might just be easier to do cartridges maybe.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Andreani-fo ... 14e1bf11d8
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Crap Tartan wrote: 10 years ago Abbot,

I fitted the R1 forks to my 05 1000 Vrap. I reckon the 650 should be the same as frames are interchangeable. Dont know what you have got!

The front mudguard wont fit without a lot of new bracketry and faffing about, just get an R1 guard (cheap as fekk!)

Same with the calipers, can be made to fit but will need to manufacture brackets, get some Yam blue spots to go with the forks, they are another upgrade on the brembo`s (better feel and stronger braking)

Your Cagiva discs will be fine whatever calipers you choose.

get a R1 spindle as its easy to modify to fit and a couple of spacers and away you go!
viewtopic.php?t=4066 <-- Link to the thread, you've probably read.

Thats the most common i have seen, but a fair few fit from what i've seen aprilia ducati gsxr depends how much you want to spend i suppose.

Also, you could use a 2mm shim on the bottom triple to save faffing about getting another set of forks.. seen that done many times.
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

It is the wrong way around I think, as in the bottom of the K8 forks are 2mm bigger than the triples, your right though, people have used shims the other way around.

I have picked up a set of K4 GSXR600 forks now, as they are all the same, 50/54 and 720mm long, so only 4mm shorter than mine. I am going to try and imitate boofheads setup hopefully, which should just mean spacing my rotors out 3mm for the gsxr calipers to fit, and a custom spacer on the axle to keep my wheel.

Will see how it all turns out when the bits arrive. :happyhappy:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Trevor68 wrote: 4 years ago

Will see how it all turns out when the bits arrive. :happyhappy:
Good luck!
Twisted Tequila Sister
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

That’s a very good forks and easy to adapt
Saludos desde Canarias
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

With many thanks to Boofhead for the drawings I have organised a machine shop to knock up the rotor spacers.

Now thinking about the 2x3mm spacers I will need for the axle, I have a spare GSXR Bush/Axle nut that the axle goes inside of, maybe I could just get them cut from that?
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

No problem, just check your email as I just sent the axle drawing as well :thumbsup:
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Thanks for that, I am going to ask the place that is making the rotors to make the new axle nut and spacer as well.

My friend has a hoist and some spare time on Sunday so here's hoping the shop can get these done for the weekend and it might all come together! :dance:
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Picked up the rotor spacers today, they look the biz!
Attachments
IMG_20191211_123247.jpg
IMG_20191211_123247.jpg (125.66 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Almost finished, just have to paint the guard now. has totally transformed the bike!
Attachments
forks.jpg
forks.jpg (218.96 KiB) Viewed 8731 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Good work! I can't see the spacers but I guess they are a lot smaller than they appear in your previous photo and are hidden beneath the rotor carriers. A transformation in looks certainly, but we need details! :nod:

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

They are GSXR600 K4 forks, I think the brakes are actually K3, as the EBC catalog quite clearly shows K3 having 4 pads per caliper like mine do, and the K4 only having 2, guess I will know once the new ones arrive.

The axle was supposed to be off a 1000 K4, but is also fishy, given we had to put both 3mm spacers on the same side to center the wheel, oh well, it all went together after almost giving up trying to get the master cylinder to pump.

Must have been a heavy bloke that owned the gixxer, as after backing the springs right out the ride home was still quite firm and we barely got enough preload.

Still it feels amazing, so I'll ride it for awhile before I decide if it needs respring/valving.

Guard should arrive tomorrow, and one day I will get a longer S/S brake line made, as the gixxer one "just" reaches.
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Bit closer to finished today, guard painted and bolted up, new brake lever and EBC HH pads fitted.

Just need to get some new brake lines made, and then Springs/reValved. :revrev:
Attachments
side.jpg
side.jpg (202.2 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (190.5 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Looking good! :nod:

Nick