The rusty work hoss.

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
Craigfell
On the Road

Re: The rusty work hoss.

Post by Craigfell »

Zx10r brake discs are 0 offset if I've found right, the raptor discs measure at 10mm I think maybe I'm wrong, so it won't fit without the 10r wheel.

Thats not wheely good though.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

For those pesky pinch bolts, you'd do better using centre drills that have a small diameter tip that's easier to control. Don't press too hard though, as if the tip breaks off in the hole, you'll have even more trouble getting a bit of tool steel out! Once you've got a decent central hole started, you can follow it with the conventional twist drill.

Don't forget that you can put a longer bolt and nyloc nut through to hold the spindle, so it's not vital that the thread in the alloy is preserved perfectly. I think I'd go for that option anyway because that thread is probably already compromised by corrosion.

Good luck...

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Started looking for another set of forks preferably cagiva raptor because I'm no rossi & probably wouldn't notice the difference however, I'm not paying the 200€ per leg I'm finding them! I'll be looking for the pair no point having 1 nice one.

So if you do know a set that will bolt in that is not cagiva.. using the same calipers, discs, spindle. Then I'd appreciate it.. but I doubt anything exists.

However I did find these..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193332816842
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

Many Ducati use same legs but with possibility of to be regulated.
Monster, SS, St ets...
Easy to find and not expensive
Saludos desde Canarias
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Thanks, I'll have a search.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

I recently replaced my forks with GSXR600 ones, it is a pretty simple job once you work out the spacers, but also requires a spindle and calipers.

Your welcome to my original forks if you want them, one has a blown seal though. Also you would need to work out postage from Canberra Australia.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

I appreciate that Trevor, I imagine the postage would cost a fortune though! Edit; Just did a quick quote on a parcel weighing 20kg, 30" length, 8" deep, 8"wide. Came in at £100.

Did you go for the 04 05 gsxr forks? I've read & read the thread you posted I think.. I've already got some radial calipers from the zx10r setup. I imagine they're the same fitment as most jap bikes 108mm I think.

So you used your original front wheel & discs?
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

In the pics my Raptor with GSXR 600 K5 front end
D23995D9-0DF5-4BD8-9CCA-A187983CDB65.jpeg
D23995D9-0DF5-4BD8-9CCA-A187983CDB65.jpeg (139.58 KiB) Viewed 6752 times
Saludos desde Canarias
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

yes I kept my Front Wheel and Rotors, and used the GSXR600 K4 Forks, axle, Fender plus master Cyclinder and Calipers.

Very Similiar to El Vikingos
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Been looking, GSXR forks aint cheap! Only 1 set i can find are £240 on ebay.

However..

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-monster-620-i ... 3056814434

I don't know if i'd need the ducati spindle or my raptor one would fit.

Definitely need the monster front guard.. lots of Google'in
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

From personal experience, Ducati fitted some rather budget forks on the lesser Monsters so I doubt it would be worth the trouble. Why do you want to change the originals? Are the tubes bent or rusty?

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Snapped pinch bolts & they are very badly corroded, pitted to hell..

And when I get everything powder coated, nice and shiney they'll let it down.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

My comment above about budget Ducati forks was based on fitting supposedly-better Ducati forks to my old 750 Monster, the originals of which looked just like the ones you found. I got the new fork legs from California and spent money on having Gold Valves added to them, but they were still too stiff for my liking. Ask yourself why the owner on ebay is selling what look like pristine fork legs from his 620 Monster! It does seem that the Japanese bike makers fitted better forks with full adjustments on their bikes of the period.

Nick
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

I looked into Aprilla Falco forks, never fitted them though. Could be a close match as the rear shock fits the raptor.
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Falco forks are 53mm at the top if i remember rightly so wouldn't fit.

Small update, while i've been pondering servicing the ZX10r forks, i've been cleaning & degreasing things.

As much as i'd love to show you every individual items before & after i stopped taking pictures for some reason & only got these.

I also noticed something, on this photo where the exhaust bolts up to the head, chunk of aluminium missing?

is that right? Where the gasket sits or has it been shedding its own weight? I also noticed..... wait for it...

The starter motor bolts that hold it together. Seem to be holding it together with hopes and dreams (Both same)

No wonder its leaking oil when the casings are corroding away from the block.

Oh well.. Get paid in a week so the frame etc be off to the powder coaters soon.