V Raptor 1000 - ECM Conrtol Unit

General spannery stuff
swm
On the Road

V Raptor 1000 - ECM Conrtol Unit

Post by swm »

Hi,
Does anyone have a diagram of the internal components of the ECM Control Unit for a V raptor 1000 Please?
Ciao
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: V Raptor 1000 - ECM Conrtol Unit

Post by Crap Tartan »

Never known of one being available and believe they are not repairable so not sure how it may help?
What you trying to do?
nil illigitimae carborundum
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

At the moment I'm going to bench-clean/test the injectors.
Although a lot of people do this by connecting the injector directly to the supply, some injector circuits contain a current-limiting resistor.
If I am unable to confirm if a resistor is used in the pulse supply circuit, I plan to test using a 9V battery with a small resistor when testing.
As the cost of new injectors seems to be linked to Gold and Platinum prices, I want to clean and test mine as safely as possible :)
A circuit could also be of future benefit when testing other items as I progress with my complete re-build.

Thank you again :)
Ciao
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

So what makes you suspect all is not well with the injectors?
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi,
The bike has not been started for 5 years.
The previous owner had problems starting the bike when it was last used (Its done less than 6000 miles).
I stripped the fuel pump system and found lots of crud in the fuel filter and the pump was seized, so I have been working my way along the fuel system cleaning or replacing bits.
I have now reached the injectors (the end of the road from the tank) and want to check them before I try a first start.
The engine turns over OK (by hand). Ive re-built and tested the starter as it was looking really rough.
I haven't checked the spark yet as I like to finish working through 1 system at a time and besides, I've yet to buy a battery :)
It seems a sensible to check the injectors are working OK before giving it a try at starting, if it doesn't start I at least know that the fuel system is clean which needed to be done.
Thanks again for your reply :)
Ciao
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

You can test the injectors electrically and that the solenoid operates but without the ecm and all sensors connected and operating properly it’s hard to say, you can find all the resistance readings etc on the workshop manual for testing injectors
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi,
thank you for the reply.
I've checked the coil resistance and they are within range. I'll check that the spray pattern looks good on the bench tomorrow.
I can't think of anything else to check, so all being good I plan to fit them back into the bike and see if the bike starts once I've sorted out a battery.
Thank you for all your help.
Stay safe - shiny side up :)
Ciao
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

A very methodical approach, and justified by the faults you've already uncovered! If it was me, I'd sidestep the really technical stuff you describe and buy that necessary battery cos the motor might spring back into life straightaway. In any case, you can keep the battery healthy while you chase any more problems that surface. Go on; you know it makes sense! :nod:

Nick
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes that's loosely the plan (if there ever was a plan).
I didn't want to try starting the bike before cleaning the fuel system as I would be pushing dirt through the fuel system into the injectors and engine. From what the previous owner told me, I suspect they may have had fuel problems the last time the bike was running.
As I've had to remove the air-filter box it made sense to carry out simple checks on parts that would otherwise be inaccessible before putting it back together.
All the cleaning has been done :) Just need to put the fuel system back together and try starting.
ciao
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Just a passing thought: with several carburetted Cagivas I've had that have stood for a while, the remaining fuel has attacked the inside of the tank and a waxy material subsequently blocks the idle jet. Stripping and cleaning the carb is necessary, but subsequent fill-ups with fresh fuel just dissolve the wax from the tank, which comes out of solution as the fuel evaporates, blocking the jets again. The only cure is to line the tank with fuel-resistant epoxy, and once done, the bikes are reliable ever after.

The injected Cagivas have the same tanks, but I've never heard of the same syndrome with them. So far, my two Raptors and the Gran Canyon have been OK, though the tanks have all swelled with the alcohol in fuel. Perhaps injectors are immune to the deposition of any gunge dissolved in the fuel.

I'm sure you have cleaned the tank as well as possible. Personally, I think it is worth locating your nearest Esso station to fill with their Supreme 97 petrol. Esso have said repeatedly in the past that they put no alcohol in it, despite it being sold under the E5 label (up to 5%). It's about time I checked again to see if that is still the case! :nod:

Nick
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi Nick.
Thank you for the suggestion.
When I removed the fuel pump, there was about 1" of brown slime around the wall of the bottom of the tank.
I washed the tank out 3 times with hot soapy water (washing-up liquid) and wiped out with toweling. This seems to have done the trick.
The plan is to get the engine running and then do a complete bike tear-down (excluding the engine if I can get away with it because of the low mileage).
When I took-out the injectors there was lots of alloy corrosion inside the injector delivery pipe damaging the innermost edge of the front injector O-ring seat, bits of white alloy dust came out of the injector filter when I gave the injector a reverse clean blast prior to testing the spray pattern (I'm pleased I decided to clean the system before trying to start the engine). I'm going to try using the delivery pipe to test the engine then take a closer look during the re-build.
There are quite a few other things that need to be sorted, the worst spotted so-far is heavy left-side rust where the frame joins the swing-arm, I also have the common tank bubbles, pitted forks, seized brakes --- the list could go on but I'll know more after the tear-down :)
At the moment I'm waiting for a new injector O-ring from my local Suzi dealer (just ordered 1 for the test as it's for a TL1000s, so I hope it's correct ... £4 for 1 O-ring :shock:).
The Raptor was always planned as as a winter re-build, I'm fortunate in that I have another bike on the road.
Thank you for your suggestions, I've never owned a Cagiva before and any useful comments are very welcome.
Shiny side up :)
Ciao
nickst4
On the Road

Re: V Raptor 1000 - ECM Control Unit/Fuel

Post by nickst4 »

For interest: Esso's current website repeats their claim that their Supreme+ 97 fuel has zero alcohol in it, except in parts of the West Country and Scotland for some unexplained reason!

Nick
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

I'll take your advice and use Esso Supreme 97 petrol when testing.
If all goes as planned, I'll empty the tank and let it dry-out during the re-build. Then use something like Flowliner to line the tank before the re-spray and putting it on the road,
.... But I'm a long .. long way from that stage :D
Ciao