Leaking?

General spannery stuff
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Re: Leaking?

Post by Trevor68 »

gotcha, I will order a TL1000 gasket for the tank, since they seem available, is there an internal filter I should change while it is apart, or anything else for that matter?
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

See the following link for torque settings and tightening sequence - 2lb/ft :o https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl ... again.html

There is a filter in the fuel pump assembly and I doubt you'd find a replacement that fits, so a couple of taps and a fart of air to clean as much as you can is pretty much all you can do. Resist the temptation to take the assembly apart as you need to be pretty patient when re-assembling it.

Lets hope the tank hasn't been mishapen by previous mangled repairs...
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

A bit of additional info: the Cagiva Gran Canyon was also fitted with quick-disconnects on the tank and the original white plastic ones eventually break. We GC-enthusiasts replace them with identical ones in chromed brass (mmm, bling!) as a long-term solution and I can provide details if anyone wants wants them.

The other point is that Caswell epoxy tank sealer would likely be an effective way to repair that cracked tank. It'd be important, though, to see if the mountings of the tank are distorted and have caused the crack in what should be quite a strong nylon structure. Nylon tanks always swell with ethanol but I don't see why they'd crack.

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Yes please for the disconnects, I put some on my previous Tre-K as they too are famous for failing.

It is hard to tell what is going on with all those bandages, I was thinking I might just buy the one from ebay and do a test fit to see if it has swollen or not, if it goes in ok then a good spray painter is only just down the road.

These are what I used on the Tre-K

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/jiffy-t ... gs-245388/
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Here's a link to the couplings that fit the Gran Canyon but not having had the tank off the Raptor (!), I don't know if they are the same type. I believe they are made by Colder Products, hence the CPC engraving, and I got mine from a supplier in the UK. The coupling was 1/4" BSPT thread and the insert was for 3/8" piping. Not cheap, but very effective, and make sure you get the Viton O-ring ones.

As I say, please check this is what Cagiva fitted to the Raptors before thinking of ordering!

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/c ... odies/150/

Nick, UK
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

So, haven't had any luck sourcing another tank, I thought I might try this since it only seems to be weeping, has this been tried by others before?

https://www.caswellplating.com.au/store ... ank-sealer
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Caswell's epoxy tank sealer is good stuff and has saved a couple of Cagiva nylon tanks for me. They weren't actually leaking but old fuel (with or without ethanol) had degraded the plastic and caused a certain waxy element to dissolve in subsequent fresh fuel. This then came out of solution in the idle jets of the carbs, blocking them and preventing the motors running without choke.

I used all of a Caswell pack on each tank, because it forms a rigid liner that needs to have strength to resist flexing and may not bond very tightly to the nylon. Actually using it is a pain because you need to blank all holes off and keep the tank rotated until it sets in an hour or so, otherwise the lining will be thin in places.

The Cagiva Canyon 500 I still have that needed this treatment has been perfect for years, whereas I used to have to strip the carb every twelve months until I understood the problem. Fixing a leaking tank should be no problem!

Nick, UK
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Good tip, the navigator has started the ubiquitous bubbles, as has the buell might have to try this!
Twisted Tequila Sister
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

So i finally located a round tuit and took the Tank off. I used some black non-setting sealant to goo up the existing gasket, all seems to be good so far! :thumbsup:
tank.jpg
tank.jpg (183.19 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I used some black non-setting sealant to goo up the existing gasket, all seems to be good so far! :thumbsup:
Hylomar blue will also do the job and again it's non-setting and fuel resistant http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-rang ... compounds/
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

andybaggies wrote: 3 years ago Hylomar blue will also do the job and again it's non-setting and fuel resistant http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-rang ... compounds/
Yes, that's my go-to stuff for anything involved with fuel. Don't be tempted to use a silicone sealant as it will swell and break down pretty quickly, and bits can get where they shouldn't!

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

This appeared to be the local equivalent, so is what i used.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/per ... t=75&sz=60
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

The permatex solution only lasted about 2 weeks, then started weeping from a different spot.

I ordered a TL1000S gasket thinking it would fit, but it is too small, it seems they used a TL1000R gasket???

Anyhoo I put it back together again today with the old gasket, and a heap of blue hylomar, so far so good.

If anybody could confirm which gasket to order i will get a spare for next time.
Attachments
IMG_20210110_110238.jpg
IMG_20210110_110238.jpg (124.37 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (170.39 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

This is the cagiva part https://www.harglo-performance.com/cagi ... 1032-p.asp if it helps
Twisted Tequila Sister
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »