Leaking?

General spannery stuff
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Leaking?

Post by andybaggies »

As mentioned previously you've gotta be really careful on both the tightening sequence and torque settings of the securing bolts.
See the following link for torque settings and tightening sequence - 2lb/ft :o https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl ... again.html
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Re: Leaking?

Post by Trevor68 »

Yes touchwood it is still not leaking, likely because I actually used my friends torque wrench this time. :D
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Leaking?

Post by andybaggies »

Holy thread resurrection batman! :o

Well, I have also just suffered the same issue with a leaking tank and also with the confusion over ordering a new gasket. I initially ordered a gasket from my local Suzuki spares emporium and they sent me a 44590-02821 which was listed as a replacement part for the TL1000R. Like Trevor, who ordered 44590-02820, this was of the same design as required but much smaller in dimension and therefore didn't fit.

So I found the receipt for the replacement I bought back in 2018 and this listed the code as 44590-02840. A quick search of this online showed a listing on ebay from the same Suzuki spares emporium but delivery would be around July 20 in 30 days time.

Rs... so yesterday I ordered one and re-fitted the gasket I already had with mucho blue Hylomar and using the new bolts that came with the incorrectly sized gasket. It looks like this has made an effective repair for the time being at least.

And then.... I received the ebay delivery today from the same Suzuki spares emporium of a new gasket with a code of 44590-02841 which I have offered up and it looks to be the the correct size...

So it's anyone's guess as to what is the correct order code... :?
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Leaking?

Post by Trevor68 »

Haha, so like me you now have a correct sized spare in the cupboard then. :tada:
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Leaking?

Post by sidrat »

great to know i can get one from you guys if i need one then! :haha:
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Leaking?

Post by andybaggies »

Trevor68 wrote: 1 year ago Haha, so like me you now have a correct sized spare in the cupboard then.
sidrat wrote: 1 year ago great to know i can get one from you guys if i need one then! :haha:
Ha-ha-ha - ain't that the case... :D

But I reckon it might not be the gasket itself that fails but rather the bolts. They come with a 'nyloc' type blue threaded section some of which I noticed was left in the thread when removing them. So I'm thinking they loose their tension over time, what with vibration/temperature changes plus etc, allowing the pump & therefore the gasket to move. And it wouldn't take much movement especially when they are only at 3 ft/lb torque.

As menyion I used the new bolts with the old gasket and it all good so far... I did try to see if you could buy the bolts separately but couldn't find them anywhere. Even when searching with the seral code on the packaging.
nickst4
On the Road

Leaking?

Post by nickst4 »

Andy,

I've always assumed the blue stuff on OEM bolts was just a solid form of Loctite rather than a structural feature of the bolt and, as such, easily replicated with a few drops of the aforesaid. :wink:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Leaking?

Post by andybaggies »

Nick,

Whatever the stuff is I still reckon it's 'play' and looseness of these bolts over time that causes the leak rather than any issues with the gasket itself.

You suggestion of using 'actual' loctite may well provide the better solution.