Raptor 1000 and serious misfire and backfire problems

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Markusj

Post by Markusj »

Hello!

I'm having problems with my otherwise quite good Raptor. I bought it 2y ago and it was working well. I mean well otherwise than the 3k glitch and occational valve ticking noise...

The first problem was when temperatures didnt raise over 60'c and that was fixed with a thermostat and water temperature sensor change.

The second problem has been a bit more difficult to solve. When the engine is hot, I get loud backfire everytime after accerelation, around 6k and 3k on deacceleration. And also there seems to be a delay and misfire when revving up around 2k-3k even in neutral gear and stationary. When the coolant temperature was under 80-90'c everything worked well.

So far I've changed coolant temperature sensor (again) and spark plugs and adjusted the throttle position sensor. I'm thinking of trying a different ECU because the bike works well before the engine gets hot and changes the ecu program.

Im getting desperate here!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Markusj wrote: 11 months ago The first problem was when temperatures didnt raise over 60'c and that was fixed with a thermostat and water temperature sensor change.
The accepted method of resolving this was to 'insert' a resistor in the engine temperature wiring that fooled the ecu into thinking the engine was hotter than it actually was. The ecu would then chnage the fuelling map an smooth out any rough running see viewtopic.php?t=3790&start=45
Markusj wrote: 11 months ago When the engine is hot, I get loud backfire everytime after accerelation, around 6k and 3k on deacceleration
This usually points to exhaust leaking at one or more of the unions - the rear down pipe to collector tubes is a common place for it to fail. Failing that the pair valve shenangigans can cause backfires especially if after market cans are fitted. It's best to remove the complete mechanism & blank off their connection to the header see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265068451185 ... 2749.l2649
Markusj wrote: 11 months ago And also there seems to be a delay and misfire when revving up around 2k-3k even in neutral gear and stationary.
Leaping to the conclusion that's it's the ecu seems a bit drastic to me at least before checking the ignition and fuel systems. The wires to the ignition coils, as well as being a pain to get to, easily corrode/become loose and need checking. I've had a failed coil before now. The fuel pump needs checking & if the bikes being standing for some time the fuel may have gone off. Something simple like the vent hole in the fuel cap might be the culprit - it may even be related to the previous (exhaust) item.
Markusj

Post by Markusj »

Thank you for reply! I finally found a shop that was willing to take the bike in. They checked the valve clearance and it it was okey. They also found that the fuel pump wasn’t working properly. It didn’t raise enough pressure.

Do you or anyone else know what kind of replacement would be best? Of course the original would be, but the availability isn’t very good in my country.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

See https://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3879

A web search for Suzuki TL1000R will come up with some lost cost options for, just, the pump itself so there will be a little more work adapting it to the complete assembly.
Markusj

Post by Markusj »

Once again, thank you :)

I’ll take the pump out today and see what markings it has.