Air box

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
bikeebui

Air box

Post by bikeebui »

Hi All,

I recently bought a raptor 1000, am fairly new to tinkiering with bikes and have found your forum very useful.

Can someone please let me know whether or not to put back to plastic rubber air restrictors to the bike and what effect this will have on fuel cosnumption.

I bought the bike with the air box exposed and was wondering if this is still ok to leave open or should i stick the rubber air vents back on.

Many thanks.
stof
On the Road

Post by stof »

Hi,having fitted a power commander and TRE ,I took off the air intake thingies,and successfully screwed up the carburation that I had got set up lovely on the dyno.All I achieved was a big glitch at 3000 revs and murdered my fuel consumption,I put them back on and she's running lovely again.
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

you will also get more problems with water removing them.make hosing it down awkward. stoff how much difference did you find the power commander actually made.nice to see the figures on paper, but it seems everyones dyno testers give out different bhp readings, across the country, so cannot compare them, but actually on the road how much difference is there.
stof
On the Road

Post by stof »

Hi,don't know the bhp before the power commander,but I've got some pretty run of the mill carbon cans( phase 1 ) with baffles but cut down 2 inches (cos' they looked better)and I've done 30,000miles and I'm getting 107 bhp on the dyno and an indicated 156 mph is my best on the road,held off my mates 595 daytona,probably a perfect match for him really.
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

stof wrote:55 years agoHi,having fitted a power commander and TRE ,I took off the air intake thingies,and successfully screwed up the carburation that I had got set up lovely on the dyno.All I achieved was a big glitch at 3000 revs and murdered my fuel consumption,I put them back on and she's running lovely again.
I think the technical term for these is "snorkel".

Does leaving them on or taking them off make any difference? When I bought the bike they were off and I have never replaced them. They seem to be there simply to prevent water ingress, and as they are the same diameter as the intake there should be no impedance to air flow!

Thats not to say I don't believe you stof :) .
So many motorcycles, so little money!
stof
On the Road

Post by stof »

Hi Jimbo,to be honest the couple of times I had her flat out with the "snorkels" off I didn't notice the difference,but I did notice a distinct glitch at 3000 revs ,which was very similar to having race cans before fitting the PC.Now that i've refitted them it is much smoother and nicer to ride .
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

stof wrote:55 years agoNow that i've refitted them it is much smoother and nicer to ride .
Right, mine are going back on! "Smoother and nicer to ride" is something I cannot refuse. Although its smooth and nice to ride at the moment if it improves I'll be in heaven. I'll also be very :oops: not trying it before.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

Yeah i'll put mine back on too, i took them off after the ride back from the shop when i bought it years ago (advised by the members) sounds like a miracle cure to the 3000rpm problem but im sure the power commander or a tre has something to do with it not the snorkels. I let the revs build slowly in the driveway and it changes completely when it reaches 3000rpm.
I did a rolling start drag with a mate(both coming out of a corner on the track at about 30mph) whos got a 595 triumph and got him, there s'pose to have a lot more than 103hp
Life starts at 45.......................degrees