Help - Rear ride height

General spannery stuff
leadbelly
On the Road

Help - Rear ride height

Post by leadbelly »

Hi,

I've just joined, and posted some background info in the Virtual Bar.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past, but a little short on specifics - so 2 quick questions ...

1. What are the 3 (hole centre to hole centre) dimensions of the modified lifter triangle plates? (I'm looking for a 25mm to 40mm lift in seat height on my 2000 model std Raptor 1000).

2. Are there any disadvantages with this less expensive approach when compared to splashing out on the Baines Link or, God forbid, an aftermarket shock?

BTW (here's a bonus question) is it a big job to remove the rear cylinder exhaust pipe?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i fitted new triangles from ebay on my rap650, but haven't done it on the 1000 (yet). (it was 35 EUR if i remember correctly)

haven't got a clue how much higher it set the rear-end, but it felt good :)

they're on ebay.de all the time: ebay nr. 8068548272

cheers, jan
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

If you take the plates out and put them on your bench (table) at the same angle as they are on the bike, just get some cardboard and trace the plate out including the holes, move your plate away, mark the shock absorber hole directly up 10mm from original (I went 10mm and it works well but others have done more but i dont know if they had to modify their kickstand so the thing wont fall over or carry a spacer with them everywhere, my seat height is now 800mm not 770mm) Then cut a similar shape to the original plate on your cardboard and cut it out of the same thickness (I actually used 6mm plate not 5mm and didn't need longer bolts) high grade aluminium (dont worry about the cutout shape in the middle of the plate) drill your holes and whack em back in and enjoy the new lean of your machine just sitting there before you have even ridden it. Or take your cardboard template to any metal shop and there apprentice can do it.

I dont know much about the baines link but have had no dramas after two years with my plates which includes very rough roads and track days(cheapest mod i've ever done)

Have never touched the rear exhaust but shouldn't be too hard
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
leadbelly
On the Road

Post by leadbelly »

Thanks Shlockengronk and Wreckah for your advice and sorry that it has taken a while to get back to you - sometimes work gets in the way of important matters.

I'll probably go the custom plate route - as described by the Shlocker and stick with the 10mm lift at the plate. A 30mm lift at the seat means the fork rake is probably getting a mite steepish to contemplate much more. The only risk I see is being a few degrees out on the geometry, but the shock seems to have a reasonable amount of fore and aft clearance to accommodate a possible wider operating arc.

With the improved ground clearance, I'll also investigate the possibility of using footpegs with an added 1 - 2 cm drop under the pivot - for leg comfort on longer rides mainly.

Thanks again for your help guys.
DeanoSeadog
On the Road

jack up plates

Post by DeanoSeadog »

I just got my plates on yesterday. I started by bending the standard link in a press. This shortened it by about 4mm (raised the rear by about 6mm). This was not enough so I had to lashout on making up some new plates, only I opted for moving the hole, which the link connects too, further away (about another 6mm). This is effectively the same as having a shorter link, which is what the baines link is. Started raining while I was fitting them so I don't know if they are any good yet??!!? Anyway, thats what I've done.