Mudguards

General spannery stuff
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Mudguards

Post by craftycat »

Just wondering but has anyone else had this problem with their mudguards? When I got my Raptor I noticed cracks around the fixing bolts of the front mudguard. Looks like they have been caused by tension. Since then a 'mate' has shattered the entire mudguard by moving the bike with the U lock on! We had it plastic welded ( all 5 breaks!) but since a trip round the pyrenees and south of france, noticed last week that there is yet another tension crack by the fixing bolt on the left hand side :evil: I did notice another raptor parked at Magny Cours had a crack in exactly the same place so was wondering if this is a common fault?
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

the only plastic cracks that are common are pieces under the seat as far as i know, or ramming the steering damper on top of the front guard when coming down too hard from a wheelie :oops:
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
Adam
On the Road

Re: Mudguards

Post by Adam »

craftycat wrote:55 years agoJust wondering but has anyone else had this problem with their mudguards? When I got my Raptor I noticed cracks around the fixing bolts of the front mudguard. Looks like they have been caused by tension. Since then a 'mate' has shattered the entire mudguard by moving the bike with the U lock on! We had it plastic welded ( all 5 breaks!) but since a trip round the pyrenees and south of france, noticed last week that there is yet another tension crack by the fixing bolt on the left hand side :evil: I did notice another raptor parked at Magny Cours had a crack in exactly the same place so was wondering if this is a common fault?

I've had similar problems. Cured them by epoxying some ally reinforcement nuder the stress areas.
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
steve996
On the Road

mudguards

Post by steve996 »

they all do that sir.i havnt seen a raptor that doesnt crack at least one side of its mudguard a pain in the arse, both sides of mine have gone and the other raptor locally is just the same.i think its called "character"-SEE YA
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

NOD NOD what Steve said... I got a replacement one for mine 2 years ago and it hasn't cracked again - it is still sitting on the windowsill in the workshop though as I havent got arround to fitting it :oops: .... apparently the newer ones are slightly different and dont crack?
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Hmmmm, character!!!! Quaint!! I wonder if the new ones would fit the older models or not? I'm going to take mine off and get the new cracks plastic welded again, if it goes again in a different place then I'll give in gracefully. Have to say the only other raptor I've seen in Le Mans was in the garage where I had to have my sump helicoiled ( Hubby is only just being forgiven for stripping the thread!) It was an X Raptor and boy was it in a sad state, same year as mine but the guy obviously didn't care for it in the same way.. everything was in a bad way including the mudguard but that was the least of it's worries... so sad to see such a beautiful bike neglected like that. I couldn't imagine doing that to mine.
raptorratte
On the Road

Post by raptorratte »

a friend of me mounted a mudguard from a mv aguste brutale on his raptor. It fits without modifications and it looks great. Maybe an alternative for the original part. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it
88/999
if you obey all the rules you miss al the fun
steve996
On the Road

Post by steve996 »

i think gsxr1000 k3 mudguards fit the raps coz tlmonkey fitted one to his i seem to remember but i could be wrong-see ya
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Definately like the idea of fitting a mudguard from a Brutale! Would be interesting if the GSXR does fit, gives more options and less of a wait to order one if needed.
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

craftycat wrote:55 years ago Have to say the only other raptor I've seen in Le Mans was in the garage where I had to have my sump helicoiled ( Hubby is only just being forgiven for stripping the thread!) It was an X Raptor and boy was it in a sad state, same year as mine but the guy obviously didn't care for it in the same way.. everything was in a bad way including the mudguard but that was the least of it's worries... so sad to see such a beautiful bike neglected like that. I couldn't imagine doing that to mine.
Doh.. meant to say V Raptor!! Think that was a combination of a blonde moment, being in the process of watching the X factor and too much alcohol whilst posting!!!!!!!!! However... I have a sneaky feeling an X Raptor does actually exist ?? By the way... what exactly is the difference between the Raptor 1000 and the V raptor? Is seat height on the V raptor higher?
Zane
On the Road

Cracked mud guard

Post by Zane »

My X Raptor front mud guard also cracked grrrrrr :x

not happy about that. Got quotes to get it repaired and its damd expensive $140.00 AUS anyhow. Am trying to find a cool alternative. Maybe a Brutale one sounds good, but the issue is cost!

Have since fibreglass repaired the one i have, with not much joy. Its keeps cracking. I guess its that working with fibreglass is difficult and messy too. hummm A friend suggested 100 mile an hour tape. A cloth tape that won't come apart, to fix the issue.
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Fitted a gsxr1000 one to my v-raptor a few months ago.
http://raptors.ukbikeforum.co.uk/viewto ... 4cf3783cd4
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Thanks for the response. I wasnt sure if the GSXR K3/K4 model fitted the raptor. I will get my hands on a mud guard ASAP. There's a crowd that makes them for those into track days, and from what I understand they are quite cheap too.

Thanks again
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa