Water in fuel

General spannery stuff
Harry

Water in fuel

Post by Harry »

My raptor was prone to getting water in the fuel tank. If anyone else is having a problem with this check out the following.
At the rear of the petrol tank, on the left hand side of the base (just next to the seat) you will find a rubber tube. This is to let any petrol that has spilled run away from the space between the walls of the tank (double skinned tank as standard). For emision regs (I guess) it is fitted with a sort of valve thingy. This corrodes and sticks.

When it sticks any water that makes it past the top plate of the filler cap (and plenty does, check the gap) will fall into the space meant to store spilled petrol. This fills up. The next time water gets in it sits waiting for you to open the filler cap. When you do, this falls into the tank proper. The actaul petrol cap is the platic bit, the plate is just decoration.

I removed the valve thingy and the pipe. No more water in fuel. For the last year. All year round use. Including snow. frost( -9deg C at 5.00am on the way to work) and rain. Made it to March before I came off.
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Is that the very long one that goes fromthe left rear of tank across to the rightside of bike and down the side?
I always thought that was the breather pipe for the tank?
so it for fuel spillage
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to asylum Harry and thanks! 8)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Harry :D , hope you're recovered from your off - and the Raptor too
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

I think I might have got some water in my fuel. I just washed my bike and when I went to fill her up, I noticed there was some water sitting on the rim of the fuel tank hole. There's quite a bit of white smoke and juddering of the engine. The revs drop really low as well. Found myself getting cut out a couple of times when I stop. Does anyone know what to do? Do I let it just run until the water gets through the system? Will it do any damage? Or will I have to drain the whole tank? Or is it another problem?
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Welcome,
Good tip harry, will remove the valve!
No bike is ever finished!
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

I've had this problem on mine.

And i'm guessing i've a small amount in the tank at the moment. Was running like a monster the other day. Day of rain, and kinda feel's like a scooter at times...? Last time it felt like that, turned out there was water in the tank.

Bit of a pain with me living in Manchester
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

Hmmm..I think someone told me once to put some terps in the tank to counteract the water...
I think that was it.. :?
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.