Brake lines,

General spannery stuff
pod
On the Road

Brake lines,

Post by pod »

Any one know of a source of new brake lines?
The owners manual says change after 4 years, and since I ride over pretty bumpy roads and the fittings are getting a little scubby , Im thinking of renewing them this winter.
The stock stuff is pretty trick Ill call 3 X for a quote, bet its outrageous though.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
danman
On the Road

Post by danman »

Get a set of HEL or Goodrich lines. They generally offer two different styles, the same as standard or two lines from teh frnt master cyclinder. They also offer choices of coulour etc etc. I've not replaced them on my raptor but have used Goodriches on previous bikes and am getting a set of HELS for the GFs bike.

Trust that helps.

Danman
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Thanks Danman, checked them out. probably go for HEls .
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Got Hels on mine, they're fine. I ordered them direct from Hel, the service was excellent, they arrived in a couple of days. Had been mucked around by Busters trying to get hold of Goodridge for some weeks!
TimO
wizard
On the Road

Post by wizard »

TimO wrote:55 years agoGot Hels on mine, they're fine. I ordered them direct from Hel, the service was excellent, they arrived in a couple of days. Had been mucked around by Busters trying to get hold of Goodridge for some weeks!
TimO
So.....You got them from Hel........That's where I got my first wife from ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If in danger, if in doubt....Run in circles,..scream and shout !
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

got hels on mine too.not sure if they have changed spec,great lines but beware each time i go 4 an MOT i get cautioned on them being a bit short and advised if i wheelie too much they may split.so if unsure order them 1 inch longer,if they have lenghtened them a bit since i complained then can easily loose that extra inch be routing slightly differently
steve996
On the Road

brake lines beware

Post by steve996 »

i have done exactly what your mot tester warned you about.last week i fitted a 19/20mm adjustable ratioradial brembo master cylinder and because the original brake lines are crimped together they cant be taken apart to fit the neccassary banjo fittings cos the brembo master cylinder has adifferent take off point.so i bought some braided hose (£4.00) and the neccassary banjo fittings and olives and made my own(peice of p*ss).BUT i diddnt take into account how far raptor forks can extend cuz at a standstill the lines seemed to be long enough.but throw in a few wheelies with the forks fully extended and the lines must have been like banjo strings cos you guessed it the left side popped out of the banjo fitting.i was very lucky cos the bike gets used very hard and the thought of trying to scrub off 120mph with an inoperable front brake scares the crap outta me.i wont make the same mistake again.on a lighter note the new master cylinder gives the rap some proper brakes as i never liked the standard set up as they diddnt have enough power or feel even with sbk3 pads and fresh fluid but now their awsome -probably the best mod of the lot.see ya
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

if you use a headstock stand that fits into hole in bottom yoke, forks will fully extend, measure and add an inch
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

These fellas will sort you out with lines :)

http://www.fhmoto.co.uk/index.htm
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable