Complaints from neighbours: road legal cans for 1000

General spannery stuff
jim68000
On the Road

Complaints from neighbours: road legal cans for 1000

Post by jim68000 »

I've had my Raptor for two weeks now and I've just managed to get a sternly worded complaint from one of my neighbours about the noise she makes while warming up. The current cans are Lasers.

Any recommendations for fruity sounding but quieter cans? I had some remus revolutions on the SV (not that I ever put the baffle in, but then I wasn't living next to anybody quite as precious), any similar cans available for the raptor? I have the original cans but that seems like giving up.
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Try here Jim,my mate has these on his SP1 and they sound quite nice even with the road baffle in.

http://www.blueflameperformance.com/bike/
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

don't warm it up.

start and drive off right away.
wizard
On the Road

Re: Complaints from neighbours: road legal cans for 1000

Post by wizard »

jim68000 wrote:55 years agoI've had my Raptor for two weeks now and I've just managed to get a sternly worded complaint from one of my neighbours about the noise she makes while warming up. The current cans are Lasers.

Any recommendations for fruity sounding but quieter cans? I had some remus revolutions on the SV (not that I ever put the baffle in, but then I wasn't living next to anybody quite as precious), any similar cans available for the raptor? I have the original cans but that seems like giving up.
I have an alternative remedy to your dilemma (a): Get some louder cans.........(b): Send your neighbour a letter suggesting they move house . :twisted:
If in danger, if in doubt....Run in circles,..scream and shout !
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

Legally, there's little the neighbours can do about it.
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

Unless of course they complain to the police/local council under noise nuisance in which case they should be killed and grilled :twisted:
jim68000
On the Road

Post by jim68000 »

They're being unreasonable in a reasonable enough fashion at the moment (their preferred solution was that I push the bike 100 yards to the end of the street before starting. I gave that one one of Paddington's hardest stares.) , so I'm not expecting a visit from the council, and the bike's parked off the road covered up so the police wouldn't be able to do anything about that.

I've been a bit overcautious with the warming up procedure since I first got the bike - it's been three years since I rode a bike with a choke and I'm all fingers and thumbs with her at the moment. I'll get the hang of it. I'm quite attached to the Lasers so I'll just have to wait and see if we do get into aggro. I've only just moved to the area and I don't want to put people's backs up: yet.

I was seriously considering an RS250 before the Raptor came along: I don't think they know how lucky they were.
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

OK.Start up on full choke,then knock it straight down to 1500 rpm and drive off straight away.once temp reads 50-60 choke can go off completely,just be carefull with throttle from tickover till temp reads 70+
Done this on mine before when staying at friends and as long as you are careful the engine will be fine. :wink:
jim68000
On the Road

Post by jim68000 »

Ah, scales fall from eyes! I'd been letting run at 4000rpm on full choke until temperature was c40, then half choke til 60 before moving. That sounds like a much quieter regime. Thanks, I'll give that a try.
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

No probs mate :D
I always knock mine straight down to 1500 rpm these days once fired.
You can ride off on that setting quite easily and its not too snatchy.
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Christ! 4000 rpm! :shock:
I think that maybe even I would have complained!
They must have trouble keeping cutlery & china on the breakfast table!

The Staintunes are freakin' loud but I've never had a complaint.
Do occasionally scare the poop out of people when the bike does the double barrel backfire when starting in underground carparks & petrol stations :lol:

When the bike is cold (in the morning) I set the choke to give 1500 rpm while I close the garage door & put on helmet & gloves.... then ride off.
I kill the choke ASAP, mind you I have a run of about 4 kms at 60 - 80 kph before stopping at an intersection, so I don't need to worry about idling/slow running.

Italian bikes are supposed to be loud 8) .
Yank bikes are just noisey.... there is a difference!
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.
jim68000
On the Road

Post by jim68000 »

:oops: I'll, er, run it at 1500. Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm really a jealous. I live in London, so a 4k clear run would mean an entourage of police helicopters, or filtering beyond the ability of even the Ghostrider. (thinks) I have a 10km commute which contains 15 traffic lights, 4 roundabouts (including one double) and four pedestrian crossings. Which means stopping about every 400 metres.
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

It's a fast idle device rather than a choke, so you won't get any bore wash :? The bike will warm up faster if ridden gently for a few miles as opposed to being left with no load on the motor.
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

I have a set of giannelli's and let rip on full choke till it gets to 25 - 30 deg, depending on how cold the day is. Then turn it off and let it idle till it gets to at least 50 deg. Never had a problem...
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

people like that just don,t like bikes.they should feel privilaged to hear a raptor.as a general rule you should not ride a bike until it is upto full operating temperature.
alteratively tell him his wifes ugly and if you are to push your bike down the road(which would not cure problem as you would upset someone else),he must get his wife to put a bag over her head til shes 100 yards down road to save you having to look at her.
wont cure the problem,but he will get the point.
its your house do what you like,police and council can do nothing unless you make excessive noice after 11pm til some time in early morn.then the enviromental health dept have to take sound measurements on freaquent occasions. if the bike was MOTed with these silencers then your ok anyway as you are within the law.I have straight though akroprovics for race use,should hear them.