Complaints from neighbours: road legal cans for 1000

General spannery stuff
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Fair point ozzy but as we all know an MOT is only legally valid on the day it is produced therefore would not stand as a valid argument :!:
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

I used that same argument on a bloke who was using a footpath which crossed some of my land. I was out shooting and he told me to put my dog on a lead. I agreed to do so and after looking at his rather short wife, told him he should put his midget on a lead :lol:
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
jim68000
On the Road

Post by jim68000 »

I used that same argument on a bloke who was using a footpath which crossed some of my land. I was out shooting and he told me to put my dog on a lead. I
Not a post you'd get on a GSX-R6 forum that, methinks.
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

End cap inserts shuts em up, keeps the exhaust quiet too as a last resort :roll:
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

ozzy wrote:55 years agoas a general rule you should not ride a bike until it is upto full operating temperature.
i don't think so,

it is better to ride off immediately. Warming up a bike stationary doesn't do a lot of good, as the revs aren't high enough to get oil everywhere (well, jim's 4K revs actually would be OK for that :lol: ) , and warming up procedure is longer, so more 'wear'.

Ride it gently right away, much better. Oil gets hotter faster, and that's a good thing, and oil gets around everywhere in the engine which is a good thing too.
raptorratte
On the Road

Post by raptorratte »

wreckah wrote:55 years ago
ozzy wrote:55 years agoas a general rule you should not ride a bike until it is upto full operating temperature.
i don't think so,

it is better to ride off immediately. Warming up a bike stationary doesn't do a lot of good, as the revs aren't high enough to get oil everywhere (well, jim's 4K revs actually would be OK for that :lol: ) , and warming up procedure is longer, so more 'wear'.

Ride it gently right away, much better. Oil gets hotter faster, and that's a good thing, and oil gets around everywhere in the engine which is a good thing too.

i do just the same start and drive very easy
Drive it like you stole it
88/999
if you obey all the rules you miss al the fun
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

engines dont run ecconomically until warm, running an engine especally when cold over short distances helps build up coke deposits.as to oil, if your using good oil and your engines in good condition the oil should reach all areas of the engine just to same as long as your oil lights not on.oil light coming on indicates not enough pressure to do this.most engine damage occures when an engine is cold.most oils are formulated with that in mind.(and advertised as too,magnetec).so being careful helps prevent wear.
if riding off at 4000k revs it takes 2 mins to get to correct temp you have done 8000k in that time.
if ticking over at just over 1200 revs as mine does for 5 mins b4 riding engine has only done 6000k revolutions to reach same temp and have been under to thirds less strain.
simple maths.especally when you condider you do even more revs when riding as the rad is blasted with air which cools, meaning more revs to reach correct temp.which is why suzuki and honda(cannot speak for the rest of makes as have not worked for them) also reccomend you DON,T ride until full operating temperatureis achieved.though this is more important with non fuel ingection carbs as choke alters the mixture, where as choke on a raptor is more of a rev increaser that a standard CV choke.
not saying i actually always warm mine up b4 riding as i dont,hate getting up and often late for work, but i do given the choice and time[/quote]
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

jim68000 wrote:55 years ago
I used that same argument on a bloke who was using a footpath which crossed some of my land. I was out shooting and he told me to put my dog on a lead. I
Not a post you'd get on a GSX-R6 forum that, methinks.
eh :?: :? I'd rather walk that ride one of those Jap thingies :lol:
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

two more points I just looked up online.
1. spark plugs dont operate efficently until they are at correct temp.hense different heat rated plugs for different makes.so if you have the correct rated plug fitted it is not firing as well as i should until correct temp is achieve, in same way it does not if engine running to hot.
2.as others have stated hot oil is good.but until that oil is hot, the less revs the less damage.most of the extremities like the cams have small wells that hold oil,so they have lubrication on start up.
the only bad point about warming engine up b4 riding i can find is doing it in a confined area,which is common sensenot too if you value living
Miz
On the Road

Warming up

Post by Miz »

Well just playing devil's advocate......

I used to go to Brancato Engineering for bits for the Duke, at the time he was racing Duke Singles, correct procedure for warming them was fire up, wind her open and hold at 6,000rpm min, otherwise the top end would sieze from oil starvation......

Made me cringe, but it worked for those engines.

I have always gone for the least revs possible on all of my bikes and ride as soon as possible..

Miz.
152/999
Adam
On the Road

Re: Warming up

Post by Adam »

Miz wrote:55 years agoWell just playing devil's advocate......

I used to go to Brancato Engineering for bits for the Duke, at the time he was racing Duke Singles, correct procedure for warming them was fire up, wind her open and hold at 6,000rpm min, otherwise the top end would sieze from oil starvation......

Made me cringe, but it worked for those engines.

I have always gone for the least revs possible on all of my bikes and ride as soon as possible..

Miz.
The same technique is used on Manx Nortons (not the Summerfield Manx 'cheater' bikes :wink: ) and I also do it on my Methanol fueled race bike. Bear in mind they are rebuilt at very frequent intervals :shock: :lol: