Crash Protection

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Leeboy
On the Road

Crash Protection

Post by Leeboy »

Any idea's of where and how much i can get crash bobbins/frame mushrooms for my 650 ?. :?
Thanks!!!
Live long and prosper
danman
On the Road

Post by danman »

I have Oggy Knobs fitted to mine, they were on the bike when I bought it. They seem to fit well and look OK and I would rocimend them. I've not tested them out yet (touch wood).

Danman
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

R&G crash bungs on my thou and they make them for 650's too

oh and they do work :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Are the R+G ones for the thou the same as for the 650? If they are I could sell you the ones I got for mine that I never get round to fitting.

Amanda
Leeboy
On the Road

Post by Leeboy »

i will try to find out. That would be great thanks.
Live long and prosper
Leeboy
On the Road

Post by Leeboy »

Computer say's YES. How much amanda?
Live long and prosper
BigHungryJoe
On the Road

Post by BigHungryJoe »

I got my R&Gs for my 650 for £60 from the dealer when I bought the bike.
A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Post by Mike Edwards »

Can recommend R&G ones...
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

I have R&G's on my 650ie. Had a bit of trouble getting them to fit, as the bolts weren't quite long enough. Easily solved by a trip to the local harware store.

I also recently fitted some bobbins through the wheel spindle. Got them from www.mgmoto.co.uk for less than £20 including postage!

Touch wood, I never get to find out if they work....
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Well done twistedpr. I have also fitted R & G with supplied bolts and did not realise that they do not stick out enough.
It happened when my brother came off the bike, crash protectors did not protect bike at all. Bike ended with scratches on the edge of the tank with crash protectors intact.
It seems longer bolts are necessary for these R & G to protect bike when needed.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I understand the bolts are "sacrificial" to protect the main metal from damage - I would be loath to use solid stainless bolts on them, maybe need to talk to R&G if you feel you need more width
SnappY
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

That's good advice from snapdragon - I certainly wouldn't recommend mouting them so that they stick out further from the frame! Even if they don't offer 100% protection, something is better than nothing.

I only fitted longer bolts because the standard ones wouldn't actually reach. It wasn't just me being a spanner as the dealer couldn't get them to reach/bite either. I even tried another complete set from R&G but had the same problem. In the end I only needed one replacement bolt, as the longer bolt fitted the shorter bung.
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Not sure if this is an appropriate post, but here goes...
Touch wood, I never get to find out if they work....
Well that cursed it, didn't it!

Woke up in hospital on Sunday to be told I'd been in an accident the day before. Have all fingers and toes, just a bit less skin, some bruises and a banging headache. I have no recollection of the past two weeks, let alone the accident, but apparently someone hit me and drove off. If I wasn't just so grateful to be alive I'd be screaming blue murder - how can someone sleep at night not knowing if the person they've hit is dead or alive?

Anyway, back on point, I have no idea if the crash protectors worked as the Police took my bike as evidence - I'll let you know if/when I see her. It's academic for me, as apparently my baby is a write off. :cry: They reckon that I was hit so hard that it bent the frame!!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:twisted: Bastids!!

Glad you came out the other end okish! Arnica for the bruises, Hypercal for the cuts and grazes, Shotgun for the hit and run driver!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:55 years ago:twisted: Bastids!!

Glad you came out the other end okish! ---------------

Shotgun for the hit and run driver!
ditto the above -

sad about your Raptor twistedpr but very glad you are posting here which means you are approximately compus mentis ;) and in one piece.
SnappY