Raptor 650 for Racing

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
TZ

Raptor 650 for Racing

Post by TZ »

Can anyone tell me if there is available, an off the shelf racing 2 into 1 exhaust system suitable for the Raptor 650?

Is the SV650 Power Commander compatible with the Raptor 650? or is there an alternative unit available?

How does the handling and overall performance of the Raptor 650 compare to the SV650?

Is it true that the Raptor 650 wheels weigh 50% more than the SV650, and is this noticeable in the handling?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi and Welcome :D
No bike is ever finished!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the Asylum...

I am not sure of the differences on the raptor wheels or the handling, but I would reccommend a test ride if you can get one!
pod
On the Road

Raptor versus SV650

Post by pod »

Ive ridden both,
the raptor handles better, the wheels possibly are heavier but the forks and rear suspension as stock out perform the SV.
Where the SV scores is in weight, 165 Kgs, Raptor is 185 Kgs.
However the raps quicker steering and better brakes help even things out.
The SV 650 s has taller gearing and feels less nippy than the rap, the naked SV650 has similar gearing to the rap so should be a little quicker off the line by virtue of its low weight. The rap makes up some of this difference by having a higher performance exhaust which gives it a slight but significant power boost over the stock SV.
I picked the rap over the SV because I liked the steel frame, Brembo brakes and USD forks, best of both worlds, Italian chassis and sorted Jap motor.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Re: Raptor 650 for Racing

Post by Mike Edwards »

We got 72 hp out of the Raptor 650 I built for the MiniTwins class here in the UK.

We fitted R6 fork internals and modified an Ohlins shock from another bike.

Engine was the carb. model updated with the cams from the fuel injected model.

We used standard headers with a minor modification plus a couple of slip on cans, initially from MHP and later from Blue Flame.

Power wise was 72 hp dead on (up to 76 hp on some Dyno Jet dynos) and could easily have been more (we ran with baffles still in the exhaust) but the MiniTwins class had a limit of 72 hp.

Race report from last round (back in 2005) Click Here
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

Raptor wheels are surprisingly light - just take hold of one without the tyre if you get the chance!

p.s. I that THE Mike Edwards of old-skool SS600 and new-skool singles racing on a SZR660???? If so we're not worthy!!! :wink:
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Post by Mike Edwards »

Coose wrote:55 years agop.s. I that THE Mike Edwards of old-skool SS600 and new-skool singles racing on a SZR660???? If so we're not worthy!!! :wink:
Yeah, it was quite amusing. One Mike Edwards owned the bike and co-founded the MiniTwins race series and the other one rode the bike that weekend. The commentators hardly knew which was was up yet alone which Mike Edwards did what.