Dead ECU?

General spannery stuff
norton
On the Road

Dead ECU?

Post by norton »

Hi All,

I have been reviewing the info from this forum for some time but this is my first post. A quick thankyou to everyone who has provided the great information contained.

I have a problem with my Raptor....It won't start. I started it the other day to head off to woek and it stalled, tried to start it again but nothing. I then noticed a puff of smoke from under the seat and could smell that telltale smell of burning electrics.

I quickly pulled off the seat and could see nothing that has obviously burnt, had a sniff around and it smells like it has come from the ECU.

When I turn the bike on everything appears to work fine, the dash reads CHEC but it turns over fine.

The unusual things I can see are:

The fuel pump runs constantly
The display reads CHEC but it turns over well
The bike will not go into Dealer Mode

I am almost certain that the problem is the ECU, is it common for the ECU to just "POP"? Does anyone know what may have caused this? I have priced up a new Raptor ECU for $1400USD :shock:

Does anyone know where I might find a second hand one? Has anyone got one they want to sell?

I would really appreciate your help as the bike is my only form of transport to work.

Regards

Norton
2000 Cagiva Raptor 1000

TRE, 1/5 Throttle Insert, Airbox Mod, Pair Removed, Staintune Exhaust, Dobek TFI, +/- Mod, Fabbri Screen, Custom Undertail
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

Ouch! :cry:
Smells like toast usually means IS TOAST. :( . Did you short the blue and pink-with-yellow wires to try dealer mode ? Have you a friend with a raptor or tl1000s you can swap ecu's to try ? (tl needs small mod and will run like poo , but will prove fault).
There is one in Germany
http://cgi.ebay.de/Cagiva-Raptor-1000-R ... dZViewItem
and another in Italy about the same price . Good luck!
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi welcome!

I'm afraid too it's a goner :(
only way you can check is by temporary swithing to another (and hope that doesnt blow up as well if the fault is in the wiring)
by coincidence i removed my ecu last night (new blinkers fitted) and noticed that one of the wiring looms can easily get caught between the subframe and the seat.
maybe worth checking

cheers
No bike is ever finished!
norton
On the Road

Post by norton »

Thanks Guy's....Thought it would be toast. :cry:

bazzywazz, thanks for the link to the one in Germany, I had a good look for the one in Italy, couldn't find it.....Do you have the link available?

I am worried that when I purchase another ECU and plug it in it will go POP! Will I have to strip down the loom to ensure this won't happen?

I have sent a message to the seller in Germany, hopefully they will ship to Australia.
2000 Cagiva Raptor 1000

TRE, 1/5 Throttle Insert, Airbox Mod, Pair Removed, Staintune Exhaust, Dobek TFI, +/- Mod, Fabbri Screen, Custom Undertail
norton
On the Road

Post by norton »

Sorry Guy's, also wanted to ask, will it make any difference where the ECU comes from? I know the TL had big differences between countries, does the Raptor change between countries?
2000 Cagiva Raptor 1000

bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

This ones dearer.
http://cgi.ebay.it/CENTRALINA-CAGIVA-RA ... dZViewItem
Did you jumper those two wires?
norton
On the Road

Post by norton »

Thanks for the responses Guy's.

Just picked up a wrecked Raptor 1000 for a good price....ECU intact.

I'll take a few of the goodies off for myself and part out the rest. My bike has done 45,000km's and the wrecked one only 3,300km's so I think I will swap a few things.
2000 Cagiva Raptor 1000