GI pro gear indicator and advanced TRE

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
zebedee
On the Road

GI pro gear indicator and advanced TRE

Post by zebedee »

Hi all
As promised here is a write up of fitting the above.
The instructions were ok but not fantastically helpful as they were written for any bike with Suzuki fuel injection and not the rap specifcally. So here is what I did, step by step with pictures (hopefully).
1. Find the best position.
As I have the Vrap it can't just go anywhere so I found the only place wherre it could be seen and not look cack was left hand side of the fairing under the horn. I angled it the same as the edge of the clocks.
2. Remove the horns. Take out the 2 allen head button bolts on the tank end of the horns, same with the three long ones at the front of the horns then the 2 allen bolts by the ignition switch surround. Put them somwhere safe then you wont waste 10 mins with tweezers retreiving a button bolt between 2 paving slabs.
So (first pic) if you ever wondered about taking the horns off your vrap dont!
3. Now remove the ignition key surround and rubber bit. Then undo the two 10mm bolts and gently lift the tank up. The manual says there is a prop but I couldn't find one. But you do need to prop the tank up.
5. Locate the triangular connector for the Gear position sensor. The instructions say its on the left at the rear of the tank. LIES LIES LIES. It is actually, as you sit on the bike, on the right hand side behind the frame tube and the air intake snozzle. Pic no 2. Took me about half an hour to find it but you shouldn't have the same trouble.
6. Run the cable from the front of the bike through the gubbins so that the 2 connectors are in place to connect up and the power wire can run to the battery
7. Disconnect the originall connection. Connect new part. Nice and simple now tidy the wires away and put the power wire ready for connection. Power gets permanently connected to the battery and turns itself on and off.
8. The Gi pro comes with velcro stickies to attach it but the loevly chaps at Cagiva didn't have this in mind when they made the bike all curvy and angular so there isnt a flat surface to stick it to. I made a really simple bracket. I cut a piece of aluminium to the same size as the gear indicator and drilled hole in the middle of it. Countersunk bolt through the middle and small hole drilled carefully in fairing. I then put a small spacer on the back of the bolt so the the bracket doesn't sit directly on the fairing. It was a fiddle to get the nut on the back of the bolt but persevere and it looks quite neat. No pics of the braket before installation as I didn't think you would want ot see a small piece of metal but here it is in place with the velcro on. I am sure it doesn;t matter whether its velour or crochet side down (bet you always wondered why it was called 'velcro').
9. From now on its easy peazy lemon squeezy. Put the gear indicator on the bracket and connect the power wire. Zip lock wires neatly and safely. Tank etc back on and then a quick test before you do al the bolts up and put the horns back on.
10. Tidy any wires that need doing and put the horns back on.
If anyone else fits anything else to a Rap or Vrap please put pics etc on here. Being a man I am normally allergic to reading the instructions but think of this as just a story about how someone else did it. An electronic version of atlking bike sin the pub and all will be well. Next job is belly pan when it comes.
Cheers now.
live long and prosper earthmen
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

NIce report thank you.. the details about the botom few gears sounds interesting.. Since t'other half appears to be buying a Vstrom and he is a far batter rider I might need some extra help! 8)