Harley Davidson to buy MV & Cagiva ...

Chat about anything
pmogs
On the Road

Harley Davidson to buy MV & Cagiva ...

Post by pmogs »

Just read on the MCN web site that Harley Davidson is buying MV Agusta & Cagiva for £56 million .................................................................
zebedee
On the Road

HD Cag buy out

Post by zebedee »

Well I guess its just a big circle in the bike world then. Cagiva used to build bikes for HD in their early days. I can think of much worse buyers.
live long and prosper earthmen
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

As someone who has become increasing disillusioned with HD dealership service and the finish of the machines I suspect this is not necessarily good news...

But then better a dealership network across the whole UK than our current situation and if HD can get their head around Carbon rather than chrome , a nice range of after market goodies may well become available!

And it might mean that I can take the Raptor to HD rallies... ooooh that will upset some of the local 'dudes' 8)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

The scary prospect of a Raptor with a Harley engine comes to mind :shock:

That'll be a Buell-alike then :wink:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

does that mean that all new cagivas wont go round corners faster than walking speed
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

ozzy wrote:does that mean that all new cagivas wont go round corners faster than walking speed
:lol: :lol:
hpyraptor
On the Road

Post by hpyraptor »

I see this as really good news especially for Cagiva after years in the doldrums and with no real after service. However, MV is a far more iconic brand and we'll have to see what the marketing boys get up to if they get a decent budget. How about a new cheaper MV which just happens to be spec'd like the Raptors for instance. Might get me back on a V twin after my Triumph Triple :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:
ozzy wrote:does that mean that all new cagivas wont go round corners faster than walking speed
:lol: :lol:

ROFL :lol: it aint the HD ozzy - it's the rider - I can vouch for Shebee+HD taking the twisties at same/similar speeds as on the Raptor
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
zebedee
On the Road

Bike Fashion Police

Post by zebedee »

The only problem I can see with an HD MV buy out is what will we all wear now. I have owned a Harley previously and loved it but didn't really get into the leather waistcoat scene. I do seem to be looking more camp as I get older anyway. I don't do the one piece leathers as I have no desire to pretend to be a racer on his day off or look like Spider Man's dad. Cant really do the wasitcoat, western jeans and cowboy boots thing as it will instantly plant the 2 words village and people into people's minds so now what do I do? The law says I have to wear a helmet but if this carries on it will be the wind round the spuds naked for me. As for accessories I did spend a fortune on my HD when I had it. Screaming Eagle pipes blah blah and button backed sissy bar etc. All looked fine but hoo weee the prices. If HD are smart cookies, and at £100+ for a bit of bent metal they surely are, then they will keep the 2 brands seperate. The only bit that worries me is Buell. Not sure that HD will want 2 competing V twin muscle type brands and they have pumped money into Buell. Much as HD is right at the trailing edge of motorcycle design I am sure that MV, being Italian, will give them some stick and not bow down. Finally I can vouch for HD's going round corners. You just have to reset your brain to a different style and you'll be fine. Not sports bikes but V max is much worse.
live long and prosper earthmen
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

I wouldn't worry about the buell front, epecially when buell are having problems with the new 1125. the only problem i can see with the HD takeover are the prices of spares going up. A mate of mine has an X1 and the prices for stuff like clutch cables have rocketed over the last couple of years to around £70. Besides i don't think HD will bother bringing out anything to compete with the brutali job MV make. Hard to see why HD are buying MV/Cagiva apart from working out how to make their bikes handle properly. :lol:
where's the bar?
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

I wouldn't worry about spares prices - engines are TL, brakes and front suspension are Ducati, bearings are straight from the FAG catalogue and the rest of the consumables are pattern! :D

Oh yes, and cables can be bought as a kit from Venhill for about £12!
Bfef
On the Road

Re: Harley Davidson to buy MV & Cagiva ...

Post by Bfef »

Just browsing a few old threads - sorry to wake up the zombie.

Interesting that only 18months later HD have shut down Buell and are selling MV!

What is your opinion of the affect on Cagiva spares etc?

So far my experience from the OEM site is expensive but good.