Help V-Rap playing funny buggers

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
taz_116
On the Road

Help V-Rap playing funny buggers

Post by taz_116 »

Hi guys,

Rode the beast into work this morning as it was dry :? and for the first time she started to play up. Changing gears cause her to surge, the only way i can describe it is it is like being a new car driver and bouncing the car around on the clutch. She is also backfireing after the gear change and rolling back on the throttle.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I have a set of CCC race cans and baffles and a Christie Automotive Smart TRE fitted, but not had any problems with these up too now.

Has anyone had any problems with TRE going faulty?

Only thing i have done is rode back in the wet friday and gave her a good clean yesterday.

This one has me beat,

Taz
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

It could be a misfire due to water in a connection after the rain/washing escapade!

Unplug the ECU (under the seat) and spray the connectors with WD40, the same with the side stand switch, clutch switch and coil connections. Also, pull off the plug caps and do the same.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

sounds like water in or bad connections somewhere to me too, also might be worth checking the front plug and the cap for damage / water getting in

I have no experience of race cans or TRE so I cant help there - but with a change of cans I'd want to check the seals in the system are all good
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

Blowing exhausts wouldn't cause those symptoms. As I said, check what has changed recently - i.e. the bike being drowned!!! :wink:
xfact
On the Road

Post by xfact »

Chesk the connection and the switch on your clutch in the clutch handle. I am pretty shure that the problem is there. I have similar problems. Just clean it up and it will be fine. ;)
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Right then folks, must have been damp in the system somewhere. Got back to the bike after work last night and she was back on form again.

The ride in this morning was also un-eventful.

So quick question, apart from general WD40, what other stuff is there i can spray around to try and give the electrics/electronics a bit more water/damp proofness?

Ruddy Italian electrics........... :lol:

Taz

carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

taz_116 wrote:55 years ago

Taz
The electrics are jap. :D
where's the bar?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

carnivore wrote:55 years ago

Taz
:lol: :lol: ... But there is the magical hint of garlic and marjoram that makes them feel Italian ;)
Bingy_bong
On the Road

Post by Bingy_bong »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agosounds like water in or bad connections somewhere to me too, also might be worth checking the front plug and the cap for damage / water getting in
I had this coming back from the stormin rally a couple of years ago, (it was raining buckets and the bike had been sat in the rain all weekend in a muddy field.
back fire running rough only running on one, back upto two all is fine back to one again.

Have a look at the front plug cap. :wink:

I got a new cap, but before i fitted it I filled the cap where it screws to the lead full of silicone, screwed the cap on, more silicone around the cap before putting the cover on. Put grease on the spark plug, then before i put the cap on i put some more silicone in the cap.

Touch wood, ridden all over in torrential downpours (i am in England) and not had a drop of re-occurring.
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

shebee wrote:55 years ago
carnivore wrote:55 years ago

Taz
:lol: :lol: ... But there is the magical hint of garlic and marjoram that makes them feel Italian ;)
The electrics were installed in Italy, so as far as i am concerend they are Italian, anyway i can't see Suzuki maikng the loom for them, they would just supply the ECU and the engine.

I am going to swop all the HT leads out next plug change so i will seal everything up so its a bit more water tight.

Touch wood its not happened again, but then again i have kept her in the garage if it has been wet :lol:

ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

wiring looms,italian non italian, does not matter. my ex worked at united technologies.they made looms for cars/ bikes from all over the world. they would get contracts and loose contracts dependant on price.think its a bit like the space shuttle,who can make the required parts to the cheapest unit price gets the contract.would not be atall surprised if someone said they made in china.
the electronic componants are japanese, but that niether here nor there if they connected by rusty wire.
only problems i had like you describe came from from ht cap when wet. had a cheap nasty cap on it, could see it shorty in the dark.caps are cheap,buy the best and seal well on front pot.