Nose cone

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
JLittler
On the Road

Nose cone

Post by JLittler »

Hi all

Anyone taken the nose cone off ?

I've ordered a carbon fibre one, and I'm now wondering how bad it's going to be - should I woose out and give it to the dealer ?

JL
X-Raptor #202. PCII, CF Bellypan,blinker pods and front guard, Staintunes and a Ti Clevis pin because saving 15grams REALLY IS worth an extra 20 quid :-)
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

I removed mine a few months ago when I fitted an HID headlight. Don't wuss out, as it's really easy - provided you have a copy of the service manual (links elsewhere in this forum)!

OK, have checked the service manual (page e7), rather than rely on my slightly dodgy memory. All you have to do is remove the
i) "horns" (7 bolts - 4 on tank, 3 on front cowling)
ii) "under headlight" panels (6 bolts)
iii) "indicator pods" (3 screws on each - two visible on outside, one behind the indicator lens)
iv) "headlight band" (2 screws on each side)

Then replace the headlight band for the carbon one (having checked that the holes line up etc) and put everything else back. Finally, the most important step, let us know how it looks!

HTH
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Which HID kit did you fit and is it a vast improvement?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
JLittler
On the Road

Post by JLittler »

twistedpr wrote:55 years agoI removed mine a few months ago when I fitted an HID headlight. Don't wuss out, as it's really easy - provided you have a copy of the service manual (links elsewhere in this forum)!

OK, have checked the service manual (page e7), rather than rely on my slightly dodgy memory. All you have to do is remove the
i) "horns" (7 bolts - 4 on tank, 3 on front cowling)
ii) "under headlight" panels (6 bolts)
iii) "indicator pods" (3 screws on each - two visible on outside, one behind the indicator lens)
iv) "headlight band" (2 screws on each side)

Then replace the headlight band for the carbon one (having checked that the holes line up etc) and put everything else back. Finally, the most important step, let us know how it looks!

HTH
Great thanks for that. Yes I do have the manual - I'd better print that page out !! That doesn't sound too bad (although the emoto carbon blinker pods were a sh*t to put on - I ended up having to get a bent screwdriver to undo the lens cap screw and then access the 3rd bolt you mention from the inside, even though using the external side of that bolt worked fine with the Cagiva pods - I've still not worked out why the difference

Photos will be forthcoming when it's done - no problemo

JL
X-Raptor #202. PCII, CF Bellypan,blinker pods and front guard, Staintunes and a Ti Clevis pin because saving 15grams REALLY IS worth an extra 20 quid :-)