Faulty fuel tap

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
raptor001
On the Road

Faulty fuel tap

Post by raptor001 »

Hi guys,

My 2000 Vrap 650's fuel tap is not working. I think the diaphragm has clogged up and the fuel won't stop flowing, resulting in a very rich mixture. The engine will run but will eventually die as the mixture becomes too rich. Can't take apart the fuel tap. Does anyone know if the fuel tap from a SV650 will bolt straight on or will I need to look for a genuine cagiva fuel tap?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

That sounds more like a float/needle problem and not a fuel tap problem (assuming you have carbs), try draining the bowls on each carb and trying again, next strip the carbs and clening the float needles and seats.

Miz.
152/999
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hi Miz,

Yes it is the carbed model. I've checked the bowls and all those parts. I've even put in a spare set of carbs I've got lying around. Still not working properly. I know mine's a 650 but would the raptor 1000 have the same fuel taps? Many thanks.
carnivore
On the Road

Re: Faulty fuel tap

Post by carnivore »

Fuel tap on a 1000 is the pump so i wouldn't of thought that'd work. i'd try the tap off a curvy sv650. would of thought it'd be the same.
where's the bar?
pod
On the Road

Re: Faulty fuel tap

Post by pod »

I got a new tap for mine from OEM in Holland, but I remember someone else with a bad tap found one the same fitted in a scooter, take the old one to a scooter dealer you may get lucky.

I dont think a bad tap will cause bad running though, you may have sticky choke pistons , thats well known as a hassle on SV curvies, they are a bugger to get at though. If the carbs are off its no bother.
Stay calm.