Rear Wheel Bearing Numbers

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

Rear Wheel Bearing Numbers

Post by Dazza Bing-Bong »

Hi all,

I have searched through the old posts and the info seems a bit sketchy :? What I need are the numbers of the rear wheel bearings and how many I need of each. I know there are four and that I need one of one kind and three of another, or think I do!!!!!

Could anyone clarify what I need, please. :roll:

Darren
snapdragon

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Numbers

Post by snapdragon »

I think This Post has the info Dazza
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

Thanks snap,

I did read that thread and thats what I found confusing. :? There are two recomendations for which bearings to use. Either the ones with a C ending or without. This can make quite a difference as the ones with a C ending are designed for high heat loads and can feel slack when cold.

This is the point that I need to clarify, do I need C3 or not :?:

Cheers

Darren.
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

O.K. so I've answered the question myself :lol: Stripped the rear wheel out last night, the bearings popped out quite easily. One thing I didn't do was make a note of the arrangement of spacers inside, but we will come back to that later :?

Right, the bearings are....................................................................6006-2RS1/C3 (3 of) and 6006-2RS1/C4 (1 of)

After talking to the bearing suppliers, all can be replaced with the C3 designated bearing as each rating overlaps. What cant be done is replacing the bearings with an identical bearing without the C rating. You can replace a non C rated bearing with a C rated but not the other way round. He said that this is very important. As there was no difference in price I saw no reason to doubt his word.
The C4 rated bearing can be ignored, as stated above, he reckoned that these were as rare as hens teeth. Just replace with a C3. The tolerance difference would be negligible.

Right, back to the set up of the internal spacers. It took me 30 minutes to work out how it all went back together, so, dont do what I did and just remove everything without making a note of the position of these spacers. Doh!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Darren. :wink:
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Hi Dazza Bing-Bong,

Can you please send me some images of the tools that you used to change the rear wheel bearings. What type of bearing puller and how did you place them back into place.

I am thinking of tryi9ng it out for myself....
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

Hi Zane,

It's really not that difficult :wink: . All you need is to remove the rear wheel, then remove the dust caps/spacers from the outside of the wheel. Place two pieces of wood on the floor to support the wheel (2"x2" will do) sprocket size uppermost. Draw the sprocket carrier of the cush drive by pulling upwards on the sprocket. Place this to one side.
You now have a bearing exposed on the upperside. Looking through the tube you will see the bearing on the underside. Now, either using a piece of hardwood dowel or as the bearings are going to be discarded, a metal rod, slide this through the tube and place it on the inner race of the lower bearing and gently tap with a large hammer working around the inner race to keep the bearing as straight in the holder as possible :!: . It should come out fairly easily. the tube is located in the inner race of the uppermost bearing. Using a suitable socket gently tap this out.
Now turn the wheel over. Repeat the method above to remove the cush drive side bearing. Wheel is now stripped. :D
Now turn your attention to the sprocket carrier. Support this sprocket downwards on the wood. Remove the spacer that sits inside the bearing. Both bearings sit together in the same seat. Using the same method as above, tap the bearings free from their housing. Job jobbed. Clean and regrease all the spacers and axle.

Clean the housings. Lubricate them with a light coating of grease. Replace the cush drive side bearing first. I use the old bearing as a drift. This time you must use the outer race to tap on, and equally as important, keep the bearing straight in the housing. Drive home fully.
Turn the wheel over and re-insert the tube into this bearing. Now replace the disc side bearing.
Replace the sprocket carrier bearings using the same method one at a time. Replace the spacer on the inside of the inner bearing. Refit the sprocket carrier and outer dust caps.

Refit rear wheel.

Tools needed; Socket set, allen keys, large hammer, metal rod, two three foot lenghts of 2"x2", wd40 to clean parts, grease.

Darren. :D
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Thanks for the comments,

I have also taken a look on the net at vidoe's that also show how-to with motorcycle bearing replacement. Pretty much the same as your comments. You tube has one vid that was good. I work for a tool company and will most probably purchase a bearing removal tool and special drift like tool tool.

I also hope to soon change other bearings like those in the swing arm etc....... Will take a look at the complete manual that I have in PDF for details.

Hey, I noticed that you mention 3 of one kind of bearing in the rear wheel and one of another. are there two that are next to each other? hummmmm it's all fun...
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

The one different bearing, the C4, sits closest to the sprocket. But it can be replaced with a C3 with no adverse effect as the bearings ratings overlap. Just purchase 4 of the same kind, the C3's, as the C4's are like rocking horse shit.
No special tools needed, so why make it more expensive for yourself :?: No offence intended but the job really is that easy without outlay on expensive tools. :wink:

Darren.
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

Hi Darren,

I am lucky enough to work for a tool company that imports tools from all over the world. 19 brands and 10 thousand product lines. This gives me the advantage of purchasing the tools I want at cost....... a mega advantahe you could say. My aim is to buy tools over time that will make maintenance a breeze.

when looking at the rear rim without the sprocket cush drive and alloy section are there two bearings in the rim next to each other on the drive side? Will have to look at the drawings of this section.....

regards