Need HEEEEEELP!!! V-Raptor misfiring :(

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
KimL
On the Road

Need HEEEEEELP!!! V-Raptor misfiring :(

Post by KimL »

Hello!

Now I really need your help guys. I have fixed the clutch switch today so now it starts nicely but I got another problem, but first I must ask about the clutch switch. How far in should you press it before it works? When I press the switch manually in as much as it goes, there happens nothing. If I only press it in 1-2 mm then it works, is it supposed to be like this or is it supposed to be pressed fully in? Just want to know if I shall buy a new switch or not.

Now to the really big problem :(

Happy as I was that I fixed the clutch switch so the bike starts and runs as normal I took the bike for a spin. Everything worked fine. Picked up my girlfriend and took her for a ride. But to my big surprise the bike start to misfire like hell running low revs especially between 3-4000rpm and sometimes up to 6000rmp. It jumps like a mad kangaroo when it misfires. My girlfriend jumped of the bike and I drove for my self, now the bike works nice again. Turned around and picked up her again and right away it misfires again al the time through the hole ride. The bike also died for me twice when slowing down and pulled the clutch in. But when i drive alone there is no problem only when I have passenger. What can this be? Hope that someone has got any idea. I have checked under the saddle to se if there is any cables that is getting squashed when sitting two persons but can´t find any problem there. The chain is a bit tense when i sit on the bike self. Is there any sensor that maybe warns when it is to tense? Thought that maybe when sitting two persons it get to tense and there is a sensor shutting of the bike because of that? Have never heard of something like that before, but it´s just a thought since I have never owned an Cagiva before so don´t know if the usually have any special features that now one else has? Is there more switches that i shall check more then the clutch switch that can cause this kind of problem?

Hope you can help me :).

PS. When driving with passenger I have also tried to disconnect the clutch switch just to test. But the problem is still there. The bike continues to misfire like hell :(. DS.
KimL
On the Road

Re: Need HEEEEEELP!!! V-Raptor misfiring :(

Post by KimL »

Talked with some friends about my problem and they thought maybe that the spark plugs was bad or maybe the ignition coil. If this is the case, then does anyone know if it is the same ignition coil to the V-Rap as it is to the TL1000?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Any sign of a lead being pinched anywhere?
I would check spark plugs, plug leads, (and check the ceramics for cracks)
Also check all connectors and all wires to the regulator/rectifier, and ECU sounds like there's a mis-fed wire somewhere in the frame/body, or a loose connection

am sure someone will have far greater knowledge and more ideas

best of good fortune :)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

just get rid of the girlfriend and put the seat hump on!!!!! :P :haha:
nil illigitimae carborundum
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agojust get rid of the girlfriend and put the seat hump on!!!!! :P :haha:

Hehe.. Don't think she would be so happy for that suggestion ;)
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoAny sign of a lead being pinched anywhere?
I would check spark plugs, plug leads, (and check the ceramics for cracks)
Also check all connectors and all wires to the regulator/rectifier, and ECU sounds like there's a mis-fed wire somewhere in the frame/body, or a loose connection

am sure someone will have far greater knowledge and more ideas

best of good fortune :)

Thanks for the tip, will check tomorrow all the wires under the seat to. Have some other ideas to that i will check and test.
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

Update in the testing..

Was in the garage today and checked on the bike. Have checked every cable I can find under the seat and no one is pinched or anything, all looks fine. There isn´t any cable that is mis fed to the frame or anything like that either and all connection looks ok. disconnected every cable that I could to just to check that it wasn´t corroded or anything like that, but even that looked good.

Went for the TO sensor and disconnected that and opened up the sensor just to see if it looked ok to. Couldn´t find anything wrong with that either, the ring inside it was moving freely and with no problem so think it is ok, but don´t know if there may be any short circuit in the electric part that you can´t see in the sensor. Attached the sensor again and went out for a test drive with my girlfriend on the back. Still jumpy and misfiring :(. Even tried that she stood up so she didn´t sit on the seat at all, just to test with no pressure on the back of the seat, only the weight of her on the foot pegs but not even that helped. So I tried that we both stood up but that didn´t help either, so I can rule out that there isn´t any cable being pinched under the seat :). Went to the petrol station and filled her up just to check that it wasn´t the sensor for the fuel that was the problem. That didn´t help either so no surprise there. The only thing that seemed to help a little was when i half on half stood up and leaned as far over the petrol tank as I could and she did the same but leaned over me so we changed the angle of the bike forward a little. First test we did this the bike didn´t misfire at all anymore :). But after a couple of runs doing this it began to misfire again but only a little and not so much, think that maybe we didn´t lean as much forward as before. Can it be the TO sensor that causes this? I tried to put the bike in dealer mode to see if I got any error codes, but nothing it stood C00 al the time. The only thing that i noticed was that the misfire began when it changed the mapping of the ecu from _C00 to -C00 around 3000rpm. Don´t think that it has anything to do with the mapping though, think that it is just a mere coincidence because around those rpms thats when there is beginning to get a bigger load on the engine.

If it is the TO Sensor, does anyone know if it is exactly the same sensor as on the TL1000 bike? On the picture I have found they at least looks to be the same.

Anyone else got anymore ideas that I can test?
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

Also, does anyone know if it the same ignition coils to the V-Rap as it is to the TL1000??
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I think you are rushing to find a solution to your problem, if the misfire started when you "fixed" the clutch switch then remove the switch again and replace it with a "temporary" switch that you can use to start the bike and once it has started switch to the run mapping and see if that cures the misfire.
152/999
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

Miz wrote:55 years agoI think you are rushing to find a solution to your problem, if the misfire started when you "fixed" the clutch switch then remove the switch again and replace it with a "temporary" switch that you can use to start the bike and once it has started switch to the run mapping and see if that cures the misfire.
Well, have only owned the bike for a week so don´t know when the misfire with passenger started. First time i tried it with passenger was the day before yesterday so don´t know if it misfired before i fixed the clutch switch. I have talked with previous owner about it and he said that he hasn´t noticed anything, but he said that he haven´t had a passanger on it so he didn´t know.

I have tested to start the bike and then disconnect the clutch switch and then toke it for a test with passenger and it still misfired, dropped of the passenger and it went fine as allways, when picking up the passenger again it started to misfire right away, and this with the clutch switch still disconnected. So I belive that the clutch switch is ruled out since it does the same with the switch disconnected.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi try using diagnostics for a 1000 there is a plug and dummy socket on the right hand side under the seat it is 10 way and clipped to the mudguard. if you connect a fine wire as shown and put speedo onto temp setting ,if any errors are seen it will show them. try that and report back .But also do you have a multimeter ? try the clutch switch with that .But always try plugs first for a missfire .Is it a very sudden on off or more gentle on off? Could it be water in tank and the extra weight is tipping bike back allowing water into fuel pump? :shock:
Attachments
plugs.jpg
plugs.jpg (229.49 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
Bit of a Muppet
cagiva_girl
On the Road

Post by cagiva_girl »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHi try using diagnostics for a 1000 there is a plug and dummy socket on the right hand side under the seat it is 10 way and clipped to the mudguard.

Thanks I always wondered what that was for :oops:
so many roads to travel - so many ways to get lost!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

that is a good thought shedmokey, water could be the trouble, given it's tendancy to find the lowest exit point

As you've checked all under the seat KimL - have you also checked the connectors under the tank?
cagiva_girl wrote:55 years ago
shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHi try using diagnostics for a 1000 there is a plug and dummy socket on the right hand side under the seat it is 10 way and clipped to the mudguard.
Thanks I always wondered what that was for :oops:
It's also the socket for the yoshi fuel mangement box (when you don't have a power commander)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

I have put the bike in diagnostics mode but it wont give me any error code not even when it misfires :(. It is a very sudden on and off, kind of like the engine sudden made a total halt and then immediately runs again so it gives a real kangaroo jump over and over again. Don´t think that it is water in the tank because you don´t feed the engine directly with petrol from the tank, it first goes thought the fuel pump and that contains a small part petrol thats used before filling up with new one. And since the symptom immediately disappear when dropping of the passenger and that only takes about 10 seconds. If it was water in the tank the smal amount of water that then is in the fuel pump should still be there when i drive away, but nothing. It runs great right away and when passenger is on it runs bad right away again.

I have talked with a mechanic at my local bike shop and what he doesn´t know about bikes isn´t worth knowing :). He didn´t belive that there was water in the tank and not any wire that was mis-fed to the frame either since the symptom is still there when we were standing up and not sitting on the saddle. He didn´t actually have any direct clue to what it could be but he called another bike shop that deals with Ducati and other Italian bikes. They had some information that could be of use for me to test :). They sad that it was very common on the bike that the fuel filter rust so should check that one and also it was even very common that the TPS sensor gets corroded. According to them the TPS sensor if it is faulty can give very strange symptoms like this when you give it more load like having a passenger on. Then it may not give the bike the proper fuel amount that it needs. So will buy a new fuel filter and will check the workshop manual that I have downloaded to find out how to get to the TPS sensor and check that one out. Really hope that this will cure the problem :).

Have also asked on a Swedish TL1000 forum if they have experienced anything like this. There was one that wrote today that he have had similar symptom on his TL1000 and for him it was a ignition coil that didn´t work properly. So next step if it doesn´t help checking the TPS sensor and fuel filter will be looking at the ignition coil and spark plugs.

Thanks for all help and thoughts so far :)
KimL
On the Road

Post by KimL »

By the way, hope you all understand what I mean in my explanations. Hard sometimes to figure out the exact correct grammar in english, but I do my best :)